~ Tarter...... a good remover ~ - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

~ Tarter...... a good remover ~

Just thought I would ask about tarter on teeth here a min. I'm not into brushing a dogs teeth & never have or tried. I would rather know of ways like giving certain bones, chews, etc ?

What works & what is best to use ? How often ?

I couldn't resist & bought 3 HUGE Hartz natural beef (smoked flavored) knuckel bones tonight & boy do they love ! They were crunching them & giving their jaws a workout ! These knuckles are so big ! I have never gave these to them before.

I also don't want to be giving them bones & stuff like this too often as I do fear they will take in too much & will block them or something. All are pretty good chewers. I stopped the cow hooves due to Shadow breaking up in quarter pieces & eating whole ! He threw them all up one time & stopped giving them.

I have tried rawhides, but now hear they aren't good for dogs.

Just wondered on this issues b/c want to cut out some of this tarter, but don't want to give them to many bones, etc too much or something.

~Thanks~

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Crowned Member

Re: ~ Tarter...... a good remover ~

I would never give my dogs those baked bones like Hartz as they are so hard they can and do break teeth. If you want to give bones, give raw bones.

I have given rawhide in the past and don't have a huge problem with it as long as chewing them is always supervised.

You could also try brushing and/or using an enzymatic cleaner. This is by far the best method for keeping teeth clean. For built up tartar you could use a dental scaler to get it off and start clean.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:36 AM

My friends pup had lots of tatar build up so they started her on those greenies bones and her teeth look alot better now. Course she's a little dog and a slow chewer. they gave her one a day for the first week to see if it would help and it made a huge difference after the first week they cut back to one every few days and haven't had a problem with it since.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Knighted Member

kimba had a surprising amount of tatrar even at 1 1/2 yrs old. ive been brushing her ever since and she does get raw meaty bones about 3x per week. ive tried the greenies, but they did nothing. no amount of brushing has removed much, if any tartar. i looked into a dental scaler, but am too concerned about permanently removing enamel.

i sure next yr im going to have to have her teeth professionally cleaned, then stay dedicated with the brushing. i use C.E.T. enzymatic toothpaste, which she likes the taste of. this really helps, since she doesnt fight me while im brushing her. she is too busy trying to lick the toothpasre, which keeps her mouth open.

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 09:07 AM
Crowned Member

I have used liquid cleaners that you add to drinking water. Works great!! My vet recommends the type with chlorhexidrine.

I also give some raw bones and these really helped knock off the loosened tartar. My 9 year old has no tartar. Vet amazed, stares ar her teeth!

Carla and The Pack
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SambaI have used liquid cleaners that you add to drinking water. Works great!! My vet recommends the type with chlorhexidrine.

I also give some raw bones and these really helped knock off the loosened tartar. My 9 year old has no tartar. Vet amazed, stares ar her teeth!
is this something like what you are talking about? id sure be willing to give it a try.

http://allpetsolutions.zoovy.com/cat...startarliquid/

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Knighted Member

My friend tried Greenies for her Shelite. Didn't work. She brushes his teeth daily. Slight imporovement. She tried a produt that you put in the dogs mouth - didn't see any imporvements.

I will tell her about a product to add to the drinking water.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Crowned Member

Grimm is raw fed, and has horrrrrrible tartar. Sometimes a dog really has a genetic predisposition to tartar. Grimm gets chicken quarters as his RMB. Maybe that isn't the right RMB to give him, maybe he needs recreational bones sometimes too? Anway, Petzlife gel, brushed on nightly, is NOT helping.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Crowned Member

My senior sheltie mix girl had the most horrendous breath. I started giving her the small C.E.T. chews about a year ago and it has made a huge difference. They have an enzyme on them that helps clean the teeth. When the vet saw her a couple months ago, he was surprised at how good her teeth were for her age. I've found the best price is at http://www.entirelypets.com. Here's the link to the chews: http://entirelypets.ecommerce-site-s...uery=CET+chews
I order the petite for small dogs and she gets two per day. She's picky, but loves her C.E.T. chews. She'll eat them before her biscuits!

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Murphy, Sheltie/Keeshond, 10/31/91-10/3/10
Max, GSD, 6/3/96 - 4/26/08
Kitties: Taz, Chessy, Jacki and Lucy
Samson, GSD
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Knighted Member

I would first try raw meaty bones, either 1/2 a turkey neck or a chicken quarter skin removed if your dogs have issues with too much fat. The dog won't become blocked up if its a meaty bone and not just a bone or if you give them maybe a spoonful of pumpkin to go along with it. These work best for the molars and might not work as well for the canines. Each dog is different.

I don't like the rec bones as they are too hard and can damage teeth in that respect. Plus they don't provide anything to sink the teeth into or to work the jaw muscles.

Next I would try a dental scaler. Worked really great for my Sasha who had build up on her canines that a raw diet didn't fix. Some say it scrapes the enamel some say it doesn't- you'll have to decide what your comfortable with.

If neither of those things worked I would maybe try petzlife but I tried that pre scaler for Sasha without positive results.

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page