When is it OK to jog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

When is it OK to jog?

Nikon's basically a year old now, he had his hips and elbows prelim'd and they were fine (I will do the a-stamp in a few months when I have the $$$). He's in good condition, maybe even a tad underweight at the moment (just got back from 2 week vacay where he was go go go and now all rib-y no matter how much I fed him). DH jogs every day and sometimes he likes to take a dog. I let him take Nikon today and he said Nikon was fine and he wasn't hardly pooped when they got back. Would it be OK for Nikon to jog 2-3 miles once or twice a week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Crowned Member

Re: When is it OK to jog?

I think someone recommended 18 months to me when I asked the same question a while ago.

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Crowned Member

Some folks say 12 months others say 18 months.

Unless the rules have changed, the minimum age that a dog can go for it's AD is 14 months. I would imagine they start preparing for it well ahead of time. (And it is a LOT farther than 2 or 3 miles!)

Personally, at Nikons age, I wouldn't think it would hurt him any. 2 miles really isn't that far. He probably goes that far running in the yard with Coke!

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I *think* the AD is 16 months? But I'm not concerned with that, I don't even have a bike at the moment anyway.

But that's more along the lines I was thinking, he runs a lot harder, faster, and probably further just playing. And recently he's had some really intense play and fetch sessions, he's slipped on wet grass a few times and pulled muscles. He's finally healed up from that, we did a lot of swimming on vacation to burn energy but keep the running, skidding, and slipping in check. Crate rest just isn't an option with him, lol, so I was thinking a *controlled* jog might help take the edge off so he can run and play without injuring himself more.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Crowned Member

That's why I said "unless the rules have changed". All I could find was on the DVG site and it is from 2001. (Says minimum age 14 months, max age 7 years.) Don't know if it has changed since then or not. Couldn't find ANYTHING at all on the USA site.

I didn't mean to imply that you were concerned with that. Just that there are obviously "powers that be" out there that feel it isn't necessary to wait until they are 18+ months old.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page