Choosing a vet - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Choosing a vet

What do you look for / what questions do you ask when you're meeting a new vet for the first time?
I'm trying to find a new one. Again. And since we've been through a few of them, I'm thinking that my judgment isn't all that great and maybe I'm just not asking the right questions, or looking for the right things, initially.

I'm taking Gunner in to meet a potential vet on the 2nd. He's not due for anything right now, which is good - I just want to meet the vet, have her check him out, get an accurate weight on him, etc. and see if she seems like a good fit for us before anything does have to be done.

I just don't trust my judgment anymore. I liked our current (hopefully soon-to-be previous) vet and he turned out to be a jerk. And the techs... don't even get me started on them! They've mistreated Riley (and that's not an accusation I would jump to unless I was darn sure of it.) The last time I had Gunner in, the scale was a good ten pounds light. (I know because I got on it after I saw what it showed for Gunner, and I know I haven't lost ten pounds anytime recently! lol.) The vet decided he'd rather stand there and argue with me, insisting that his scale is correct, instead of just checking it.
So, finding a new vet is a necessity. I'm just not sure how to approach it.

Any advice?

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Riley - Golden Retriever - 2 1/2 years
Jake - (aka Demon kitty) Gray & white tabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Choosing a vet

I ask people who have dogs where they go and what they like or dislike about their vet. I ask friends, strangers on the street, on email lists, forums like this, the owner of the kennel I go to, people at the feed store, etc. Other things I think about is their vaccination protocal, hours, how they handle an emergency, things important to me as the owner of a breed who has serious health issues.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Knighted Member

There is a book called 'Speaking for Spot' and it includes a chapter titled, 'Finding Dr. Wonderful and Your Mutt's Mayo Clinic' pg 39. A good read for ideas and you can preview the chapter on google books, http://books.google.com/books?id=7fbFxZC...page&q=&f=false

Includes sample questions and everything! pg 39-57

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks for the link, natalie -- I'll have to check that out.

And thanks for mentioning emergencies, Gayle! Our soon-to-be previous place is open pretty much 24/7 for emergencies, so it's not something I've had to give much thought to. There is another after-hours emergency clinic pretty close to us, but in a life or death emergency, I'd like to be able to get ahold of their regular vet too, if possible.
And the vaccination protocols -- yeah, that's one thing that concerns me. Most of the vets around here still push the 'once a year, whether they need it or not' philosophy. And if that's the case with this potential vet, it's something we're never going to agree on.

Deni
Owned by:
Gunner - GSD - 7 years
Riley - Golden Retriever - 2 1/2 years
Jake - (aka Demon kitty) Gray & white tabby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page