Advantage - Has anyone used Merit to make doses? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Advantage - Has anyone used Merit to make doses?

$45 for 100+ doses?

My owner can purchase the same insecticide Imidacloprid (Merit) from Bayer- 2 oz @ 75% = 1.5 oz=42.5 grams. The formula for the over 55lb dogs is 100g/liter and each tube is 4 ml. That means I could create about 425 ml (100+ doses) with an oil carrier and save a bundle. I have pharmacist friends who could help me. But thought I would ask if anyone has done this yet and see what their experience might be.

Yes, I know my owner is probably going against the advertisers on this site and making everyone gasp at the thought of endangering his dear pet (me!) just to save a few bucks. However it is worth the asking - esp of the vets and large kennel folk.

Thanks in Advance!
Elsa the GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Advantage - Has anyone used Merit to make doses?

If you can do it safely, legally, and less costly...go for it.

Not sure how the jab at the board members was called for though.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Oops no jab intended at all... just a realization that there may be some who would never play with toxins like this. I include myself here - thus the post!

Major apologies for not being more sensitive!

Elsa's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Elite Member

Make sure the purity grade is the same & that both sources follow the same quality control protocols- most insecticides work against eukaryotic cells ie they are toxic to both the insect & host (dog) cells once dosage is taken into account so be careful that you aren't poisoning your dog with inferior grade/old etc insecticide.
Some of the insecticides are ETC inhibitors, which class does imidacloprid fall into?

What is the companion salt for the Bayer compound vs the Advantage product?
How will you accurately & prescisely measure doses?
What is the delivery compound used in Advantage?
What will you use in your version?

Make sure you know your chemistry & research the insecticide properties (stability, chemical reactivity, decomposition products etc).
If your pharmacist friends are going to do this in the work/school place, they need to look at the handling & licensing regulations wrt to this compound as well.

If your dog has an adverse reaction to your home compound, how much will you spend on treatment (assuming the effects are treatable & reversible) vs how much will you save by going this route?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Crowned Member

I used to do this with Frontline - buy the biggest and put all vials into a container - had a syringe (with no needle)marked with the right dose. It was much more economical.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 12:31 AM

I know alot of people who run kennels and do this. They also say that you can get Ivermectin for horses really cheap and dose it out for dogs to save on heartworm. I personally would be afraid to do anything like this, but I guess if you own a large kennel or are tight on funds, it would work.

"Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole".....

Roger Caras
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Crowned Member

I seemed to have misread your original post, didn't realize that you were talking about using the straight chemical.

As with using the straight ivermectin as mentioned above, the safety margin doing it his way would be *much* narrower,

As was mentioned earlier, the original product has other "stuff" in it, which might make this insecticide work like a topical.

All these treatments make me nervous, and I think using the straight insecticide, without more info, scares me more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page