e collar and ears standing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

e collar and ears standing

hi everyone!! i just had zeke neutered and was a little nervous regarding the e collar he has to wear and his beautiful ears that stand so nicely. will the e collar affect his ears? it is right on them folding them over.he is supposed to wear it for like 2 weeks!!! im just really scared about it affecting his ears so if any one has had any experience with this id appreciate it....thank you!!!!!

Two disabled veterans. One volunteered, one was forced into service. One will be taken care of the rest of their life, one will be euthanized. Its not right. Both served their country. Both deserve a life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Knighted Member

Re: e collar and ears standing

How old is he? I took Bo's e-collar off after an hour and kept him by my side to supervise. He only liked once and that was it. I never put it back on. I think you could flip his ears forward in front instead that would be better.

Heidi, human mom to
Daisy, 6 yr JRT
Bella, 3 yr GSD
Bo, 2 yr GSD
Rest in Peace,
Kasey, GSD Shelter 8/96-12/07 at the Bridge
Patches, CS Shelter 4/93-4/05 at the Bridge
Keisha, GSD 12/87-10/96 at the Bridge
Tarsha, GSD my sweet 16 BD at the Bridge
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:46 AM

We did not use the collar when Jackson was neutered. He pretty much left it alone. Must have had some good drugs!

Jen
Mom to:
Forrest, Golden Retriever, born 2/02
Jackson, GSD, born 10/22/08
Sundae, cat, born 4/25/95
Magnum, GSD, 5/94 - 2/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Crowned Member

Most people only use the e-collar if their dog won't leave the incision alone. As other people have suggested you can remove the e-collar and supervise your dog. If he is bothering the incision you can put it back on.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:57 AM
Crowned Member

Bruiser just had major surgery on both his knee and stomach. I was really concerned that he'd be bothering the sites, and so far he's left them alone without having to wear an e-collar. And today's the BIG day, we go in at 3:30 to have his stitches removed!!!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:25 AM
Crowned Member

I had to have Isa wear one because she tore out the stitches the first time when she got spayed. Never bothered her ears and hers have been up since she was 9 weeks.

Akbar 6 years
Isa 10 years
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Knighted Member

When Dakota was spayed we had a growth removed from her tongue so we had to leave the e collar on for 2 reasons. Had it on for a week. She was six months old.

Dakota's right ear leans to the left (just turned 1 year. Wished I had removed the e collar during times when I could supervise her. Did this cause the problem? I really don't know. Vet doesn't think so, as her left ear is perfect.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 07:21 PM

My german shepherd is almost 10 months old on nov 19. His ears never stand sadly I believe he ruined the cartlidge when he had ear mites. He was neutured on Saturday and the ecollar is actually forcing his ears to stand. Do you think during the 2 weeks this may strengthen them enough to finally stand on there own? I will be such a happy gsd momma if so! Im tired of people asking if he's mixed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page