Watering the pack question. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Watering the pack question.

I have three dogs and two cats who share the same water bowl. I "had" a "pet mate le bistro waterer". Apparently they emptied it and chewed it up. I was thinking about buy a larger one but I was afraid they might chew that one up too. I have been using a metal bowl. The problem is when it gets close to being empty the boy picks it up spilling the rest accross the floor to bring it to me (as if to say "we need another round"). Any ideas for a watering vessel that will supply the pack w/ enough water durring the hot summer and not get spilled or chewed?
Thanks.
JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Watering the pack question.

I use ice cream buckets and fill them twice a day in the summer. If that's still not enough, put out more buckets.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Crowned Member

I have two water containers in the house, and if one is running empty, the dogs are pretty good about going to the one that is still full. Maybe you could add a second bowl in a different location to give them more options?

We have a stainless steel bowl in the kitchen, next to the cat food, and a stainless steel bucket downstairs between the dog crates. One of our crates is one of the new VariKennels that has the extra hole to tie it down, and I have a big hook there to hold the bucket by the handle, so the dogs can't pick it up or try to knock it over. That's been working pretty well.

My friend Laura has outdoor kennels for her dogs, and she uses large buckets, standing inside little wooden (like 2x4) "boxes" so the buckets can easily be lifted up by a person, but it's hard for the dogs to knock them over or drag them out.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
2 larger bowls is a good idea.
Now I need to get some large mats so we stop slipping on that majic combo of dripped water and saliva that the boy leaves in the kitchen.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: HistorianWe have a stainless steel bowl in the kitchen, next to the cat food, and a stainless steel bucket downstairs between the dog crates. One of our crates is one of the new VariKennels that has the extra hole to tie it down, and I have a big hook there to hold the bucket by the handle, so the dogs can't pick it up or try to knock it over. That's been working pretty well.

My friend Laura has outdoor kennels for her dogs, and she uses large buckets, standing inside little wooden (like 2x4) "boxes" so the buckets can easily be lifted up by a person, but it's hard for the dogs to knock them over or drag them out.
These are darn good advices which I'm about to take. My little spoiled brat has a problem keeping the water in place and would always as soon as I turn my back, flip the bowl and get the water all over the place. I ended up mopping indoors and flushing the dog runs outdoor. This is such a constant time waster for me. LOL..

Where did you friend buy the water buckets for outdoors?

Dan
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Master Member

I have the removable ceramic crock from an old crock pot that I use outside during the summer (will crack if it freezes in the winter). It holds over 1 gallon and is heavy. The dogs don't seem to like to try to pick it up with their teeth and haven't knocked it over yet. The crock seems to keep the water a little cooler too. You can get the crocks at Thrift Shops and yards sales fairly cheap.

Julie

Time spent with your dog is never wasted!

GSD

GSD
Copper - Beagle
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

I'll keep an eye out for those crocks.
Thanks again.
JD
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

I get these at the Tractor Supply Company, in the horse products:

In four years since I started using them, my dogs have never been able to dump their water. Paddle it out, yeah, but not dump it.

Only in the dead of winter do I allow a bucket of water in my house. Shepherds all have drinking problems.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Knighted Member

Just leave the toilet lid up and teach them to flush for fresh water!

Silence is Golden ~ Duct tape is Silver.

FO UCD ARCHX RLVX3 RL1X RL2X Joobie Toozday VCD1 HT RA OA OAJ NF CD-H JJ-N CTL1 TT CGC
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Cool. What are they called?
JD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page