Clippers - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Clippers

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on clippers. I don't need anything fancy for show grooming, just want to clip my long coated gsd for the summer. Something relatively inexpensive that will still get the job done.

~Deanna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Clippers

You really shouldn't cut the hair. The long coat insulates the dog.

I've also heard that dogs with fur (not HAIR) that cut clipped sometimes do not grow the hair back. Or it grows back a different texture.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Elite Member

I would just comb it out and leave it be.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Crowned Member

I did a belly trim on Barker the Younger last year. I didn't want to take her main coat but after recovering from mange, she had loads of hair EVERYWHERE! The belly clip kept the insulation part of most of her coat & gave her a belly that was quick and easy to cool.
I bought a pair of human hair clippers at Tuesday Morning - I don't use them very often but they sure did the job. They also worked for Barker the Younger when she needed a "butt clip" They're not going to get heavy use so they should last for quite a while.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Master Member

I would not recommend shaving her down either. Yes dogs with long hair have that hair for a reason. Unless she has a medical reason like hot spots or sores on her body that need to be kept clear.

I would recommend a master groomer stripper from pet edge for your LH buy the 6 or 8 as these are for course coats.
http://www.petedge.com/catalog/produ...roductId=45282

I use the master groomer stripper as my GSD has both normal hair and Longer hair on her body and the furminator just does not cut it.

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2009, 10:38 PM

Is it really that bad to use a trimmer to trim your GSD's hair? My girl has hot spots and some sores on her and I thought it would be a good idea to trim her up a little.

Not talking about shaving her down, just trimming her, she's got a lot of scraggly hair and I wanted to clean her up a little.

Is this not a good idea?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Master Member

Rather than starting a new thread, I have a question in regards to grooming a VERY matted LH gsd's tail.... any advice, suggestions on any products that would help loosen uncoat that has become matted with the long hair?? This poor dogs whole tail is like a banana, one solid matt. It appears all the loose undercoat has become entwined with the long tail hair along with debris and dirt. I can pick a little bit at a time with a rake, but I'm on time schedule to get her washed and groomed tomorrow and ready for transport on Thurs. She's been kenneled a ways from my home so haven't been able to start working on her. Are there any products that can be used to help loosen the old undercoat entwined in the hair??? Help!... gotta get her groomed in a hurry tomorrow and I really don't want to shave her tail!!! The rest of her body is alright.. just her tail!!

Jetta Vom Alpenhof CDX RE CGC BH TT
Ch Donka's Sharp Dressed Man(Dre)CD RE CGC TC
Donka's Girls Night Out (Nina)CD HT BN CGC TT
Donka's Supersport(Chevelle)RN,CGC {10/19/98 - 5/29/11 RIP princess,we miss you}
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

YEs. Cornstarch. Be generous - Work it through very thoroughly then use a matt splitter. Then begin working it out. This really does work although no one wants to believe it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Master Member

Ok..thanks for the suggestion.. I'll give it a try. Sort of wondered if a dry powder might work, but was afraid to give it an experimental try... so I appreciate the information!

Jetta Vom Alpenhof CDX RE CGC BH TT
Ch Donka's Sharp Dressed Man(Dre)CD RE CGC TC
Donka's Girls Night Out (Nina)CD HT BN CGC TT
Donka's Supersport(Chevelle)RN,CGC {10/19/98 - 5/29/11 RIP princess,we miss you}
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 01:57 PM

I have also heard about cornstarch...please let us know how it worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page