German Shepherd height?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

German Shepherd height??

How tall are german shepherds supposed to be?? I read that the AKC standard says 22-24 in. Wini is 24 in. at the shoulder. That just seems small to me. Is it? I see a lot of german shepherd pictures where the shepherds are way bigger than 24 in.!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

Re: German Shepherd height??

Yes the AKC standard is 22-24" for females and 24-26" for males.

However it seems that oversized German Shepherds are so common that people often think dogs within the standard are too small...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

The AKC standard says 22-24 inches for females and 24-26 inches for males. And yes, they are supposed to be that "small".

There are, however, a lot of oversized dogs out there. Some breeders produce wonderful working dogs that are a little bit larger than the average. And then there are some breeders who produce what they call "old fashioned" German Shepherds, which are just oversized and bred to be so on purpose, to appeal to people who want a larger dog, but one that looks like a GSD.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Crowned Member

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Crowned Member

Kelso (male, not altered, 2yrs 9mo old) is west german working lines and is 25 1/2 inches

Allie (female, altered, is now around 2-3 yrs old) is from rescue so not sure of lines and is about 23 1/2 inches

Meeka, (female, american line BYB, altered at age 5) might have been a little taller than our male, but that is a guess and he was a puppy when she passed so maybe I am not accurate, but just guessing on pics that were taken around the house in similar locations and what I think when I measured her years ago she was around/above 25 inches?

Here is an entire thread on height! Many pages of dogs and their age, sex, height

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...page=1&fpart=1

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page