Split ends? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Split ends?

This probably seems nit-picky, but since Mulder's little tick incident I've had to give him a thorough looking over.

I noticed around his neck he has a LOT of split ends... basically every hair from an inch past his ears, all the way down to his shoulder blades. Its mostly on the neck, but there's some splitting on his tail too.

I suspect it has something to do with his collar. Its leather, and he wears it loose, but I do keep it on him 24/7. Its probably nothing serious, but I can't help but be curious. I've never seen this on a dog before!

GSDs- Mulder, Ridley, Vega
GSD on the half shell- Rigel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 05:30 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Split ends?

I have never noticied that on our dogs, but they do not wear their collars all the time. Strange that you would notice the same thing on the tail, though, if it was the collar?

I have heard some mention that the furminator breaks hairs on their dog(s)? I have not experienced that but just a thought?!?!? Do you use the furminator or some other brush that may cause this?

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Re: Split ends?

I use a standard large bristle brush, and a slicker w/ thick-ish plastic bristles?

Both brushes were used on the shepherd I owned before Mulder, and I never noticed anything like this! Then again, she had a much more plush coat... Mulder's is very tight.

GSDs- Mulder, Ridley, Vega
GSD on the half shell- Rigel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page