After neuter care - how many days in the cone? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

After neuter care - how many days in the cone?

Otto had his operation last thursday. He's been running and playing like normal since Monday (when I stopped giving him ACE).

How many days should I keep him in the cone? I'm not sure I can stand it anymore - he uses the thing as a weapon! Yesterday he knocked my 4 year old down the cellar stairs - which thank the gods I have the floor heavily padded and he's okay.

Otto keeps crashing it into my legs, to the point I grab for the cone when I hear his dog tags near me. The kids haven't had such luck catching it - I know he does it on purpose too becuase he knocked Miss Jackie over once, she cried and he's very careful with the cone around her now. Oh he's getting MOrgan with it too, she's not happy but she's not letting him go first either.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Crowned Member

Re: After neuter care - how many days in the cone?

oh Jenn you poor things!
call the Vet its been a week now I think he should be ok

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Vet's wife said 'It's your responsiblitity to keep him from licking those stitches for 2 weeks' I don't want him to tear it open but he seems pretty well healed. I dunno. So frustrated wtih the cone and everything else that's not moving fast enough around here!

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think I've ever seen a neutered dog wear a cone for two weeks! But pretty much all I've had is females, Dunc was fixed when we got him. I think it would be okay though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, we rarely use a cone at all for neuters (or spays either, for that matter). I find they stress the dogs - and yes, definitely dangerous for bystanders. Is he having a major issue with messing with the incision? If he was my dog, after a week, I'd feel comfortable removing the cone and just keeping an eye on him. If he fools with it a lot you can always put it back on again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Master Member

We gave up on using the cone thing years ago because of the frustration it caused the dogs. Boss was just neuered in February and we went directly to the 2 T shirt method. A bit inconvenient having to undress him to take him out to pee/poop but he did not mind. We just used a happy voice telling him that he had to put his pajama's on so he thought it was a good thing. We did only do this for one week and then turned him loose naked again.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Crowned Member

Turned him loose naked. That's cute!

When I got Loki the shelter had him taken to the vet the day before and he was nuetered. He didn't have a cone or any stiches that I could see.
He seemed fine, in fact he didn't seem to miss anything either.
I wonder sometimes if he was already nuetered and they just threw in the extra charge.
Would they do that?

Sandra
Larka GSD 1/4/06 Palla GSD 7/16/06 Loki adopted 8/23/08
Badger,Miss Crabtree & Shafford, the kitty krew
Waiting at the bridge;Palla,Tucker,Chance, Brandy and Lacy. I'll miss you to the end of eternity, and love you twice as long.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Knighted Member

I din't know why...maybe they forgot, but Zisso never got sent home with a cone. He did fine without it..I corrected him for licking his stitches a few times but that was it. So I would say you should be fine to let him out of the dang contraption

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in