Grass Heads (Foxtails?) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Grass Heads (Foxtails?)

I don't know if these are technically "foxtails" or not, but they are dry grass heads, and hundreds of the awful things have burrowed into poor Mia's coat. Some have even already started to cause sores. None of my other dogs have any, and they all walk the same places, so it's something about her coat type (she's my only GSD).

How on Earth do I get these awful things out of her fur? I've tried a comb, slicker and pin brush and nothing is working. I'm pulling them all out with my fingers, but it's taking forever and she really hates it.

Is there a better tool or a better method?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:43 PM

Re: Grass Heads (Foxtails?)

Try using baby oil.
When the horses use to get into burdock, I would rub the area with baby oil, then use the comb. Works pretty easily.

Cindy ~ Mom to

Matey Lab 4/02- 9/22/14
Davit GSD 5/05
Dock GSD 7/10/03 - 7/31/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dock vom Kavallerie 11/3/12 (AKA Rocky)
Orwell vom Kavallerie 10/17/15 ( AKA Hemi)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Crowned Member

Try cornstarch. If they are fox tails be sure to check other dogs between toes, in arm pits as well as everywhere else. Very nasty things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

I've never seen anything like these things. I picked at her for hours, and a friend and I still found dozens more today. She even has a good sized weeping sore in one "underarm."

These are just little grass heads -- maybe 1/4 to 1/3 inch long, but they've caused a lot of damage over a wide area of skin. Tomorrow I'm shaving her whole underside so I can keep it clean and dry and clear up any infection.

I might be over reacting, but I feel I should warn people. If you live anywhere where there are dry wild grasses, please dig your fingers into your dog's coat and check thoroughly every couple of days. These things could quickly and easily lead to serious infections and even abscesses. I've never seen anything like it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Master Member

Your not over reacting, foxtail's are nasty little things. They just work their way right into the skin. With shepherds this isn't as big a problem because of their hight but I have know dogs who end up with them down their ear canal.
I have worked really hard to keep the foxtails out of our yard, not easy to do when thats all thats in our neighbors back yard. Then there is my parents property; they have a field with a lot of them in it. When I am brushing my dogs coat to get foxtails out I find going against the fur works better.

Stacy
---------------------

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Stacey. I'm about to bathe her. I'll try brushing against the grain afterward.

I just finished shaving her from chest to anus, during which I found another oozing sore and dozens more foxtails. The things seem scientifically designed to avoid detection while wreaking as much damage as possible. I'd rather pick out cholla cactus. At least you can see and feel it in her coat!

There should be public service announcements on TV, and signs in every vet's office!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page