Nose protection/sunscreen? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Nose protection/sunscreen?

I am trying to see if there is anything I can put on Bianca's nose that she won't just lick off, to protect it? I've noticed her nose was dry and flaky and I thought it was maybe diet related, but then I noticed that it is worse on days we go outside for long periods. I think it may be from exposure/sun so I wanted to use a sunscreen. The problem is anything I put on her nose is immediately licked off, and I don't want to use something that she will just remove right away or that might be harmful if ingested. Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 03:08 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Nose protection/sunscreen?

It's probably from moisture loss due to being in the sun. I'd try Aloe Vera gel (100% natural).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Crowned Member

I second aloe and I would also try calendula cream as it is a powerful healer and something you can massage into the skin.

Can you post a picture of her nose? Have you had the vet look at it just in case it's something like discoid lupus or an immune related response?

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The vet said it might be diet related but she didn't say it looked like any condition/disease...

Here are two photos of her nose. The first one is from last month. The second one I just took, it doesn't look as dry because I put some cream on it last night but the skin is flaking a lot more, which happened after we had our big outdoors day yesterday. I don't know if it's really visible but near the side of her nose the skin is flaking off a LOT (where the loose piece of fur is in the 2nd pic.)

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Master Member

My vet suggested that the waterproof sunscreens were "better than they used to be", so that may be something to try.

His advice to me was to keep Riku out of the blazing sunlight, because of these white spots he had developed on the side of his nose.

Proud papa of
and
. RIP Dana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page