Booster shots for a 2 yr old? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Booster shots for a 2 yr old?

We took Palla in to get spayed on Tues. It in it self was almost $300. I wanted her vaccinations done also.
The vet called and said the while doing the surgery they noticed a 'clicking' in her hips and said she might have HD. So while she was out it was suggested to be a good time to do an xray ($100)
So we go to pick Palla up and we are told that according to Palla's records she never had her boosters completed when she was a pup.
We at the time were going to another clinic and have changed vets to this clinic.
I recieved a phone call yesterday saying that she should come in for her booster in 3 weeks.
If she dosen't get it then the vacs won't work. ????? Except for the rabies which would be OK.
I went in for a simple spay and vacs and all these things seem to be coming up all of a sudden. Palla seems healthy?
My question, if a dog doesn't get the proper boosters with the vacs not work?
What about all the shelter dogs with no history at all? Should they be treated like a puppy and get all shots?
Loki was a stray before I got him, will the vacs he had last year not do him any good either?

So here is my question.

Sandra
Larka GSD 1/4/06 Palla GSD 7/16/06 Loki adopted 8/23/08
Badger,Miss Crabtree & Shafford, the kitty krew
Waiting at the bridge;Palla,Tucker,Chance, Brandy and Lacy. I'll miss you to the end of eternity, and love you twice as long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Booster shots for a 2 yr old?

My advice? get the hip x-rays and do titers only from here on out. And I would find a new vet. Sounds like "maybe" your vet is having trouble with her mortgage payments or something.

Boosters are given as puppies to make sure that they are overriding the mothers immunity.. I am probably not saying that right but my head is still VERY fuzzy this morning. Hopefully someone can come in and say it correctly.

TAMMY
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Ok, I've heard the term titers before but I'm not sure what it is.

Sandra
Waiting at the bridge;Palla,Tucker,Chance, Brandy and Lacy. I'll miss you to the end of eternity, and love you twice as long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

I've never heard that about boosters before!!! I agree I would consider finding another vet.

I always follow my vet's protocal for vaccinating puppies and adults (every 3 years for the adults). I never get lepto or KC (except Slider was forced to get the KC when I had to board him at the vet's last month - pissed me off - my regular kennel doesn't require the KC). If we had lepto reported in this area, yes I would get them vaccinated for it.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 11:00 AM
Crowned Member

Titers is blood work to check for immunity. I gave Gracie her full round of puppy shots (actually she got one extra because her old vet wouldn't accept the first shot from the breeder since there was not a vet certficiate with it) and her one year old booster. She has gotten her rabies vaccine. I titered her and it showed "high immunity" for parvo and distemper so NO SHOTS FOR GRACIE this year!!!

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie CGC, TD, TT, PT
DOB 1/19/2006
Into our house and hearts 3/18/2006
Her last breath 2/21/2019
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I always get the full spectrum, including the lepto because we are up north and they are constantly in contact with the lake water and critter poop. I get KC because it is required for classes and after going through a dose of KC after adopting Loki last year I'm glad they were vaccinated ahead of time.
I don't do guardia and I'm glad now that I hear the vaccine dosen't work.
We are required by law to get our dogs vac. (rabies) every year.

Sandra
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

So does anyone know if it can be titers can be done in Canada?

Sandra
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 11:29 AM
Master Member

Titres can be done in Canada no problem. Check your municipality - the rabies regulations may have changed. Many are accepting the 3 year vaccination for rabies now. My vet is suggesting shots on a rotating cycle, doing a couple each year over 3 years rather than the whole panel at once. Needs more bookkeping on owners parts to keep track of what is due.

Please don't litter. Neuter your pets!

Quinn, Mar. 8/07 - Dec. 13/18, my best boy
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Crowned Member

Vets love to over-vaccinate.

I only do titers, my dogs never need "boosters".

My vet is holistic and, starting year 1, will do titers every other year. If you want the shots, sure you can get them, but there's always a risk and studies have shown they are not necessary, and possibly harmful.

(If the titers should ever come back low, then my vet will give the booster for free.)

I'm certain that Palla does not need a booster. And you don't need to check the titers for at least another year. Don't bother with them this year.

http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-22-2009, 01:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: crabbyI always get the full spectrum, including the lepto because we are up north and they are constantly in contact with the lake water and critter poop. I get KC because it is required for classes and after going through a dose of KC after adopting Loki last year I'm glad they were vaccinated ahead of time.
I don't do guardia and I'm glad now that I hear the vaccine dosen't work.
We are required by law to get our dogs vac. (rabies) every year.
I would be looking for a new vet pronto.

First of all, how many series of shots (and at what age) did you dogs have originally, as a puppy?

You are NOT required in Ontario to have your dogs vaccinated for rabies every year! Here are all of the facts: http://www.siriusdog.com/rabies-vacc...ations-law.htm If your dog is given a 3 year vaccine (which you MUST request) then you are required to get the vaccine again in three years.

My dog Basu was vaccinated every year for rabies and everything else until I got him at age 4.5. He had vaccinosis (because of over-vaccinating) and it caused him so many health problems. He also had a reaction to his rabies vaccine at age 5 so after that I only titered him. He never had another vaccine.

What were the results of the hip x-rays?

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page