Our vet visit today. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Our vet visit today.

Yes! We picked the right vet. Drake did extremely well and had his rabies shot done. He also got his exam and poo checked. He is a healthy boy!

He did not even notice the shot...I think it was the treats he was munching on. But, he loved the Dr. and was rolling on his back playing with him while getting checked out. He was giving him lots of licks! The Veternarian did not pressure us into getting things done and he sat right on the floor with Drake petting him. I liked that a lot that he interacted with him and didn't attempt to stick our 53lb puppy on the table.

Only thing is he says he doesn't recommend cleaning the ears that much or ever. He worries that it will irritate the ear causing swelling and redness, also pushing the dirt down further in the ear causing infection.

He said we picked a well-behaved pup! Yep.

It's interesting the looks we get from strangers when we walk into places with our German Shepherd. People really need to read up on these dogs and stop being so stereotypical!

Just glad Drake is healthy and his weight is on track. He is going to be a big boy.

Jillian

Drake-1 year old GSD- Birthday December 6th

Add Drake @ Dogster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:38 PM

Re: Our vet visit today.

The ears need to be cleaned as a part of regular grooming, about once a month or so. Most vets carry an earwash solution that won't irritate and works well. My Jake tends to get a yeast infection if his ears arent cleaned out...and that's no fun!

Emily
The Rescue Crew
Diesel 14 wks Blk GSD
Bentley 14 wks Sable GSD
Tasha 2, Shih Tzu
Oskar 3, Sable GSD
Jake 4, Sable GSD
Allie 10, Bi Co GSD
Keller, RIP
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Crowned Member

I don't clean Dante's ears, they don't need it well unless he's gotten some Barley by mistake and then he'll get a yeast infection.

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

A German Shep. book I am reading says 2-3 a week! I was thinking thats a little much to clean out his ears. He doesn't do that much dirty stuff outdoors.

I will clean his ears just not 2-3 a week. I guess everyone has a different take on the ear cleaning.

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Crowned Member

In the 16 years I've had GSDs I have NEVER had to clean their ears unless they rolled in dirt or something.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds like your pup is about the size Dante was.
For the months old he weighed that x10 - in his 5th month he was in the 50's pounds, 6 month 60's pounds etc.
This slowed greatly in his 7-8th months and he's now between 80-85 pounds at 5 years old.

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: emsoskarThe ears need to be cleaned as a part of regular grooming, about once a month or so. Most vets carry an earwash solution that won't irritate and works well. My Jake tends to get a yeast infection if his ears arent cleaned out...and that's no fun!
This isn't actually true. I have had dogs who needed their ears cleaned once or twice every few years and others who needed them cleaned more frequently. My floppy eared dog needs her ears cleaned more frequently than my upright eared dogs. If your dog is getting a yeast infection it is most likely due to a food or environmental allergy. Yeast infections do not happen b/c of a lack of ear cleaning.

I am glad that Drake's vet visit went well!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, glad to know we don't HAVE to clean his ears.

Also, about Drake's weight. He is 53lbs at 5 months. Do you think he will get the size of his dad who was 115lbs? Drake's paws are BIG.

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Crowned Member

I hope he won't get to be that big! Bigger is not better as it causes undue stress on the joints. Plus when they get older and you have to move them around it's really difficult (take it from me, I know!).

My Massie was 60 pounds at 6 months and she was a very fit 90 pounds when full grown. So I'd guess he's going to be big but not too big!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Oh yikes. I hope he doesn't get to be 115lbs either! lol. I am guessing we better get some joint supplements for him then? I have a feeling he is gonna go through some growth spurt.

100lbs max... not even that. I hope... We have him on a feeding schedule and measure his food out so we don't over feed him. I would hate to get a fat dog.

Jillian

Add Drake @ Dogster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page