Ear Wash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Ear Wash

I took my pit to the vet yesterday for a general ckup. She was checked for earmites and that was neg. The vet says she has alot of gunk and would benefit from an earwash everyday for one week then to do it once a week. He said I could purchase an ear wash at the pet store but I wanted to hear from all of you how you clean your dogs ears. Do you purchase the wash from the pet store or is this something I can do with things from around the house?

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Ear Wash

I use a mixture of 50/50 vinegar and water. Then I soak a cotton ball and use that to wipe out the ear. And I dry with a dry cotton ball. I don't know if its necessary to dry, or not.

Balto had a lot of gunk stuck in crevices, so I used a soaked q-tip to gently remove the gunk.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Crowned Member

My sister actually bought me Paul Mitchell ear and eye wipes for dogs (she's a hair dresser and gets a discount on products.) We haven't tried them yet but I think you could use either a cotton pad or ball or some kind of ear specific wipe to clean the ear out. Whatever you do (I'm sure you know this) do NOT use anything pointy that could poke the ear drum, like what you would use with your own ears.

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: rizzodmThe vet says she has alot of gunk and would benefit from an earwash everyday for one week then to do it once a week.
Unless your dog is rolling in the mud every day and getting it in their ears you really should try to figure out WHY they are getting gunky ears and not just how to clean them.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The Gang
Quote:
Originally Posted By: rizzodmThe vet says she has alot of gunk and would benefit from an earwash everyday for one week then to do it once a week.
Unless your dog is rolling in the mud every day and getting it in their ears you really should try to figure out WHY they are getting gunky ears and not just how to clean them.
Well I guess just like some people produce alot of ear wax dogs do the same.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Master Member

I use Nolva-Cleanse. I got it from my vet to clean the ears. Seems to work pretty good, but I only do it every week or so...

~Rachel
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2009, 03:14 PM

Georgias ears are the same way, She doesnt play in the mud at all but her ears gets awfully gunky very often.
We have to take her to petsmart to get them cleaned because she gets so hyper and excited with us its impossiable.
Georgia has had a few bouts of ear infections though but the vet never mentioned what the direct cause was.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Crowned Member

Usually a good swim cleans out Ozzy's floppy ear. If not I buy an all-natural product in the drugstore, it's a saline solution you squirt into the ear canal. Seems to work.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

rizzodm,

We, too, have a Pit Bull whose allergy tests came back negative (*sigh*) and is on a controlled "allergy-free" type diet.

He also produces gunk in his ears that is the result of over-production of ear wax (yay, BYBer for our dog!)

We use an ear wash for him that we got from a Cocker Spaniel breeder's website that works great:

http://www.zimfamilycockers.com/EarCleaner.html

The only thing we did do is NOT use the Boric acid. I used Boric acid to kill Scorpions, and even on their FAQ page about the cleaner it says dangerous in open wounds, etc.

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page