Parvo Shot After Parvo? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Parvo Shot After Parvo?

Is there any risk to giving a Parvo vaccine after a dog has already had Parvo?

I ask because I've decided to go through with getting Chance a full set of shots just to be on the safe side since I don't know if he got more than just rabies when I adopted him. (ACO said they give it but I only got a bottle label/records for a rabies vaccine) I found a place to do a full set of vaccines, heartworm test and dewormer for only $50. Problem is, I'm guessing they do the 5-in-1 type vaccines (Low cost vaccine and spay & neuter clinic so not like a normal vet who would have more options available) and if they don't have single ones I want to make sure Chance wont be harmed by getting a Parvo shot since he already had the virus. (December 2007)

As far as I know, he's never had vaccines. I never got them when I adopted him because a) he was dying and b) if he DID get them I wanted to wait so I wouldn't OD him. I'd ask animal control but you can't get a person on the line to ask about adopting an animal much less asking about shots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:35 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Parvo Shot After Parvo?

That I don't know, your vet could probably answer it. I would imagine it would have absolutely no effect since he now has natural immunity to it.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Crowned Member

It's unlikely to do him any good, as he's got immunity already, but it's not going to hurt him. When we have parvo puppies, we go ahead with their normal shot sequence (combo shots, like your clinic) once they're healed and have never had any problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Elite Member

He's got the most powerful long lasting immunity on the face of the earth, natural exposure and natural immunity, why get a shot?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Crowned Member

You can always do a titer test first and re-peat the titer if you need to board for some reason.

I am happy he survived Parvo. So many do not.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: He's got the most powerful long lasting immunity on the face of the earth, natural exposure and natural immunity, why get a shot?
Because it's part of a combo vaccine and he needs the other stuff. She could have the vet special order the other vaccines separately but that's going to be extremely expensive, if they'll even do it at all.

The combo shot really shouldn't do him any harm because he's had parvo, it's just that the parvo part won't do him any good either. With distemper becoming increasingly common, that's definitely not a vaccine to miss.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Knighted Member

If you can get the shots without the parvo vaccine, I would make the effort. Why inject the dog with more chemicals if you don't have to.

Please bear with my stupid questions. This old dog is learning new tricks. lol.

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Crowned Member

I agree in theory that's ideal but I'm not even sure you can get some of the vaccines individually and for a lot of people it would be prohibitively expensive. That's definitely the case for all the parvo pups we see in rescue. I'd rather save the $ to put into treating parvo for the next unfortunate pup.

If the question is what's ideal, and you can get the vaccines individually, then that's probably ideal. But if the question is will getting the parvo vaccine hurt a dog that has had parvo, then no, it won't.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

Thanks guys! I just really wanted to be sure nothing bad would happen. If they'll give him them individually then I'll go for that I just needed to know that a combo wouldn't hurt either since I really don't have the money to spend $150+ at the vet right now for shots and a HW test when I can get it plus some for $50. (Unless there would be a huge risk then I'd do whatever I had to, to come up with the extra money)

What exactly are titers? (And how would you pronounce that so I wouldn't make a fool of myself? lol) I had never heard of them before until joining this board. How are they done? How often should they be done? How much do they typically cost?

Boarding isn't a problem since if my dog can't go somewhere, I wont. (And in an emergency I'd have a friend to care for him) Though we DO go to the dog park which is a breeding ground for diseases and whatnot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page