Pepto - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Pepto

First of all, if I am posting this in the wrong section, please forgive!
Last night I cooked up some ground turkey to add to Z's kibble, which is Kirkland Signature Chicken and rice. I feel terrible now because I have known he has a sensitive tummy, but I honestly thought it would be bland enough for him to tolerate with ease, but he woke me 3x's thru the night to go out and had diarrhea each time. He has been out twice this morning and is still trying to 'go' altho I haven't seen any more coming out. So my question is can/should I give him a little bit of pepto and will it help with the diarrhea? There will definitely be no more turkey added from now on and I desperately want to make him feel better as quick as possible. I feel horrible for this!

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Pepto

Im not sure about the Pepto but you could just give him some Oatmeal until his stomach straightens up. I have done this and it works the turkey might just have to works its way thru his system.

Sashi
ALWAYS REMEMBERED
Sept 1, 1999- Aug 11, 2008

Neek
Our special needs Rescue
adopted 09-March
4 yr old
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SashmomIm not sure about the Pepto but you could just give him some Oatmeal until his stomach straightens up. I have done this and it works the turkey might just have to works its way thru his system.
Thank you for the quick reply! I will try the oatmeal!

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Crowned Member

Give him at least 12 hours after the last of the diarrhea before trying to give him anything to eat. The fact that he's still trying to go means that his system is still very upset and any more food will just make it worse. As the actual diarrhea seems to have stopped, I wouldn't give any Pepto or anything else at this time. Depending on what you've found that he can handle, I would start him back on a bland diet for a meal or two just to make sure that everything is working right again before putting him back on the kibble.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Crowned Member

Dogs can have pepto.Whether it will work or not I can't say.They get 1tsp per 5lbs or 1/4 pill per 20lbs.I also give immodium AD and for Athena she get 1 pill.Good luck

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

The only thing he has successfully eaten with no probs is scrambled eggs. Other than that he only eats his kibble without problems. At this point I worry about giving him the egg too. I will wait the 12 hours and see how he is.

Thanks!!

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AllieGDogs can have pepto.Whether it will work or not I can't say.They get 1tsp per 5lbs or 1/4 pill per 20lbs.I also give immodium AD and for Athena she get 1 pill.Good luck
Oh I never thought about Immodium AD!

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

I agree with Elaine. His body is trying to expell what has upset it, so you don't want to stop it. Next I agree with the fasting, no food, just make sure he is drinking. Then go with a bland diet and slowly bring back the kibble.

Was there skin on the Turkey? The reason I ask is turkey is usually pretty well tolerated unless there is a problem with your dog and fats.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Crowned Member

Would the Pepto or Immodium coat the stomach and help it settle?It doesn't always stop the diarrhea especially if he isn't going anymore.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

No skin...just ground turkey. I browned it. Fed about 3-4 tablespoons with the kibble.

He is resting now, but I have to step out for a minute and when I do I imagine he will follow. I will watch him closely to see what he does and will report back. I do think I will give him the day to recoup without meds then gradually get him back to norm

Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page