New tick preventative from vet? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

New tick preventative from vet?

Has anyone heard about a new tick preventative out? I had a friend whose vet told her ticks become "immune" to Frontline etc. and to try this new nice smelling stuff. Has anyone else heard of it? My friend couldn't remember the name.

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Crowned Member

Re: New tick preventative from vet?

How strange! My vet just stopped selling Frontline, too, because the ticks are becoming immune to it. We're currently on Advantics (or however you spell it.) Idk how it spells, so I can't really help you there but basically, yes, I have also heard that ticks can become immune.

Think about it: all the ticks that it affects die and the ticks that can survive the stuff bred and, there you go! A new generation of ticks that is immune to Frontline is born... it's like evolution right before our eyes!

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

There are a few fairly new flea and tick preventives out on the market. We just learned about one at work called Vectra 3D. It kills all flea stages and also both repels and kills fleas and mosquitoes.

I don't know about any nice smelling tick product though, except for the natural repellents like citronella and catnip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD

It seems that different regions have success with different products. I live near Chicago now and Frontline works the best, I wouldn't even waste my money on Advantage and most places don't even carry it. But when I lived near Champaign, just 150 miles south of here, Frontline did nothing to the fleas and Advantage was the product of choice.

Word of caution though, Advantix (for fleas and ticks) will kill a cat. If you put it on your dog and it comes in close contact with your cat the cat could die.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Elite Member

I've had the best luck with Frontline Plus.

Which reminds me.... it's getting to be that time. Better set up the appointment...

Izzy's Mom
R.I.P. 11-8-2000 - 10-27-2013
You will always be in my heart
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Beverly
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Crowned Member

If you don't have much of a problem with fleas, you can go with Frontline Top Spot - it has less chemicals.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 06:22 AM
Crowned Member

i use the frontline plus for my younger dogs, they tend to go into places where ticks are prevelent. i have not seen any ticks on my dogs while using it. my senior gets the Top Spot frontline because he can't tolerate the Plus, and i haven't seen anything on him.
i also use herbal flea/tick spray as a back up repellent if we are going to be outside in suspicious areas.

debbie

url
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

My next question would be how safe is it to switch chemical formulas when your dog has been on one for any length of time? Aren't reactions a possibility? Has anyone switched products successfully? Would an "all natural" product be safe to switch to? It makes me nervous to play with the different chemical/ingredient formulas. Ticks are a major problem here in MA.

Kim (MSPCA Vol.), Lainey (Lainey Express Destiny Ryanhaus) and Beau (formerly Booker GSD/Lab?- Rescue)

(At Rainbow Bridge) Vegas- Our Gentle Giant R.I.P. 2000-2008 Meisha - Moo Moo R.I.P. 1990-2000-All GSDs
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Master Member

I don't use any frontline plus, etc any more. The ticks can and will still get a good bite on your dog. I use nematodes. It is all natural and does not harm your animals at all. I sprayed it all around my yard 2 1/2 years ago and just now need to buy more. It kills the ticks, etc and is a huge cost savings.

Kelly S
Boeselager German Shepherds

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Elite Member

Ask your friend if it is Vectra 3D. That has been the latest one that has been going around. The other flea and tick products killed once the flea or tick bit the pet. This one kills by contact with the skin of the animal. I have used it and it seems fine.

The one with the "smell" is ProMeris. My boss stopped selling it after a number of clients' dogs ( including mine ) had severe skin reactions.

~ Kathy ~

Kai vom Theishof ~ GSD
Maggie ~ Pug
Natasha ~ Queen Kitty
Midnight ~ Boss Kitty
Lennie ~ "Special" Kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page