Anyone done the "Furminator Shed-less Treatment"? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Anyone done the "Furminator Shed-less Treatment"?

I was wondering if anyone has taken their German Shepherd to a groomer and gotten the "Furminator Shed-less Treatment" done and if so did it work? Did you notice less shedding? If so was it a lot less or just a little? Also what type of fur does your GSD have?

I was thinking of getting this done for Bianca, I thought it might help to keep her cooler in the summer and reduce the shedding some but I am not sure if it works well on GSDs or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Elite Member

Re: Anyone done the "Furminator Shed-less Treatment"?

I don't know what the treatment is. I got a Furminator--it was pricey but worth it. I "furminate" every day in the spring and it is AMAZING!! The first few times I used it, I could have filled a garbage bag with all the fur I got off the dogs! THe more you use it, the less they have to shed, in my experience with it at home.,

Jennifer

Jennifer

Aik vom Haus Gold "The Rock" Age 11

Zuzu--gsd DOB 4-21-09. Naughty n' nice

Lucy, Black GSD 2/1997-12-25-2008.
" T'was Heaven with you Here."

Dweezil, WGSD. RIP, 13
Moon, WGSD. RIP , 12
Shining found treasures both.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Banned

i've never heard of the Fuminator Shed-Less Treatment. during the heavy shedding season i brush my dog with a pin brush every other day. when i brush him i brush him in all different directions. not that
my brushing works because there's hair everywhere.

sometimes i brush my dog in the woods. i let he hair fly in the woods for the birds. i'm not sure if i'm being green or littering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Crowned Member

I've seen the oriels in the kennel picking up the dog hair to line their nest. So in answer to your question doggieDaD, I would say your being green.
After all it is a natural product. It's protien and if you could rototill it into your garden it will break down and help build the soil.

Sandra
Larka GSD 1/4/06 Palla GSD 7/16/06 Loki adopted 8/23/08
Badger,Miss Crabtree & Shafford, the kitty krew
Waiting at the bridge;Palla,Tucker,Chance, Brandy and Lacy. I'll miss you to the end of eternity, and love you twice as long.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Crowned Member

I furminated Rafi and Cleo today and they both instantly lost weight! I"m sure all my neighbors knew I was brushing Rafi b/c enough fur came off to make a couple of little Rafis and it was blowing all over the place. Hopefully the birdies are using it for their nests.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Banned

one evening i was brushing my dog. we were near the road when i was brushing him. i was letting the fur fly thinking the passing
cars would blow it away. the next morning i'm coming out of the
house and my neighbor is coming out of his house. i quickly
step back into my house. as i look across the driveway i see
my dogs fur all over my neighbors lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowI furminated Rafi and Cleo today and they both instantly lost weight! I"m sure all my neighbors knew I was brushing Rafi b/c enough fur came off to make a couple of little Rafis and it was blowing all over the place. Hopefully the birdies are using it for their nests.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I didn't mean the Furminator, I meant the whole "treatment" that they do at groomers.
Example:

Quote:
Quote:FURminator Shed-Less Treatment

* Most pets that shed are double-coated breeds (Shepherd, Golden, Lab, Husky, etc.)
* We use a technique called carding, which helps rid the pet's coat of the unwanted shedding hair
* With the FURminator treatment, we can get out 50-80% more shedding coat than with just the carding technique
* The FURminator treatment also lasts longer!
* We recommend grooming every 8-12 weeks to minimize shedding

The FURminator treatment is a special shampoo and conditioner used on your pet to help open the pet's pores further and remove access hair. We then use a high velocity (no heat) dryer to remove the dead hair. After drying we use the special FURminator carding tool to remove even more hair! Within one to two treatments, the FURminator has been proven to reduce shedding up to 90 percent.

Try it once and you will see the difference!

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:01 AM
Qyn
Knighted Member

The groomers are marketting their use of the furminator tool and a hv dryer which do work in removing loose guard hairs and undercoat. They'll be doing the work for you and as it does take time they are charging a extra amount to cover that. You will notice a difference, if you are not doing it yourself, the effect will last 6-12 weeks (depending on the season and the type of coat) until the amount of new hair being shed approaches the same volume.

There are shampoos and finishing products that are said to aid with shedding. However, as the furminator or any other carding tool is only meant to remove loose hair, any product that is supposed to loosen hair even more would not be something that I would want to use. Any good quality shampoo is all that is necessary IMO. Quality finishing products will also give the appearance and feel of less hair.

GSD - Quynne, born 29 sept 2004
MalteseXPoodle - Buddy, adopted Jan 2004 - RIP 14 May, 2009 9-11yo
Galah - Birdie-girl - adopted in 1999 when she was approx 12yo
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 AM

i have a furminator also, but find i do best with the shedding blade and my good long tooth rake with the wooden handle. the furminator just doesn't seem to get all the way down to the undercoat on storm. he has in between hair. no real long, but not real short. it favors the longer side though. it does work well though, if your dog's coat isn't super long. i think regular brushing is the key to minimizing shedding. also, the better quality food you feed, sometimes the shedding will be less. i notice that my dogs shed more on certain foods then on others. since i now do strictly raw at dinner and only a small amount of kibble in the am, i notice they are shedding much less. frequent bathing also encourages the undercoat to shed out more. so if you do bath often, you need to brush more often right after their bath.

"Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole".....

Roger Caras
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Crowned Member

Petsmart does a "Furminator Treatment package."

However, why buy the "package" one time when you can get the whole kit for $50??? (Shampoo, conditioner, Furminator, and more)

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page