E-Cone on 5 yr old male - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

E-Cone on 5 yr old male

We just had a 5 yr old male neutered. We got him from a woman who could no longer care for him due to a divorce. I brought him home yesterday and today he was neutered.

He has on an e-collar. They said he needs to wear it for a week. He is so scared.. I just want to take it off. He is so confused right now and he has this thing to deal with. My heart just aches for him.

I have another male who was neutered at 6 months and he never had to wear a collar. Is this necessary?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels
Re: E-Cone on 5 yr old male

no it isn't if he will leave his stitches alone

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to GranvilleGSD

If he leaves his stitches alone he doesn't have to wear it. Another option if he does bother with the stitches is to put on a pair of boxer shorts, and put his tail through the fly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Crowned Member

If needed you can also get a Bite-Not collar http://www.bitenot.com/ for him to wear. It will be easier for him to wear and if he is an up-your-butt dog, it will keep the backs of your legs from getting gored if you stop short.

Nina

Mom to Ginger, Belle & April (cats)
Never forgetting -
Cody (GSD) 1993 - 8/21/05
Sheba (GSD) 6/97 - 8/3/09
Lyla (Maine Coon) 1994? - 4/3/07
Tonic (LBC) 1998? - 5/19/07
Chloe (Tuxedo) 1997? - 10/11/08 Forever in my heart.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Crowned Member

When Jerzey was spayed she figured out how to take that thing off pretty quickly and I wouldn't be surprised if your guy figured it out too. I would probably let him go around without it on (under supervision, of course!) and simply teach him not to mess with the stitches that way, when he finally gets some time to himself and is fed up with the collar, he won't pull it off and go straight for them. It worked well for Jerzey. (We did put it on her when we went to class, though, although half the time she just took it off.) Plus, like ninhar said, that thing can really hurt if your dog continual runs into you with it!!

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

The bite not collar would be good to have. It's so hard for him to eat with that big bulky thing on. But I love the boxer shorts idea. I am going to go get a pair today and try that first. We are keeping him in the garage during his recovery so I am not able to constantly watch him.

Thanks for all of your help.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Crowned Member

Watch it at day 3. That's when incisions become incredibly itchy. (voice of experience - dog was doing fine = no collar = day three = doggy altered incision = trip to evet = more $ = longer healing time.)

Bite not collar doesn't work for a determined dog - in fact I had to get a humongous cone. If your dog is prone to removing the cone, the cone needs to be fastened to the collar. There is also a "soft" cone collar that works the same but folds back, is cloth covered I think. The hard cone collars are best if they are the clear or translucent plastic rather than the opaque ones. Makes a big difference to the dog to be able to have that peripheral vision.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Banned

Your comments are appreciated, but I am wondering who told the OP the dog needs to wear an E-Collar. The guy did say E-Collar, and I am thinking why.

I do hope the OP pays attention to your.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

It took me a minute to figure out that OP must be me. My vet told us because he is an older dog that he would probably to lick his sutures.

We did pick up some boxer shorts but quickly realized I would have to remove them each time I took him out to relieve himself.

I decided to follow what the vet said and after reading the itching would start at 3 days... well that did it for me. I would not want to put him through another trip to the vet.

He is doing much better now and he has adjusted somewhat to the thing around his head. He bangs into things but just keeps going.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Timber1Your comments are appreciated, but I am wondering who told the OP the dog needs to wear an E-Collar. The guy did say E-Collar, and I am thinking why.
Perhaps you are stuck in thinking that e-collar means shock collar?

On the health boards, e-collar=elizabethan collar

beauswatch (aka OP=original poster ), I have always gone to the local pet store and bought what middle suggested, the clear cones. They do freak when they don't have that side vision. I do not know why the vets don't use those instead of the solid ones -- doesn't make sense to me. I keep one of each size on hand (for each of my dogs) and just reuse them over the years. With any luck, you won't need another cone for a long time!

Aloe Vera Gel can help with the itchiness if it gets bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page