Normal Shedding? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Mandalay Send a message via Yahoo to Mandalay
Normal Shedding?

Today I looked down at Mandalay and saw little tufts of fur all over her back. I thought it was cat hair at first since it was soft and silky and not the normal pine needle like hair that she sheds ALL OVER the place CONSTANTLY.

I got out the rake brush, intending to get this off of her and about 15 minutes later I had what is shown in the picture below. The floor tile that it is on is 16x16. That's a lot of hair, folks!!

Like I mentioned it was soft and fluffy, silky almost, and Mandi's coat is a very short coarse like coat. Since she just turned 1yo and this is the first winter to spring season change that we have her, I have to ask if this is normal. It seems like she has dumped almost all of her softer undercoat this afternoon instead of over a series of days or weeks like every other dog I have ever owned has done.

There are no bald patches on her (that was why I kept brushing to see if she was losing patches of fur) and her hair does not seem as dense as it was before her mass shed.

Any thoughts?

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Mandalay, GSD, CGC, DOB 01-31-08
Mazy, White Boxer, DOB ? Sometime in 2010 we think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:35 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Normal Shedding?

Its called blowing coat. Tis the season!! I always said Clover had a new puppy with the softness we got out of her. Onyx never did that when she was a year. She didn't shed at all til June~ she was 5 months shy of 2. It wasn't much either, just enough to make a small "puppy" This year, I know they will shed heavily, they developed thick coats this past winter. So far it hasn't really started.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 PM

Welcome to coat blowing

Totally normal, usually twice a year, spring and fall.

Thorai 14/04/05
Chara 26/09/06
Booda 01/03/03-10/15/08 (we miss u my beautiful boo)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Crowned Member

If it is copious amount of hair everywhere, than it is perfectly normal GSD behavior.

Welcome to my world.

Don't put that rake away, more may follow.....

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Crowned Member

WHOA! That's a lot of hair... I don't even think my current brush could deal with all of that.

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JerzeyGSDWHOA! That's a lot of hair... I don't even think my current brush could deal with all of that.
I had used the Shed Ender on her a few weeks ago and got almost that same amount out of her, but have never gotten near that much with just the rake brush. The darn dog has more of an assortment of grooming tools that I do with all her brushes, shampoos, sprays, combs...

Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease. Even as I was brushing it out of her I kept thinking it had to belong to one of the cats because it was so soft and fluffy and there was so much of it! I felt silly asking about shedding since she has been shedding since I brought her home almost a full year ago, but nothing like this. This is crazy! My Bearded Collie did not shed this much in a 15 minute time period! lol

-
-
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member

Eh, you just THINK you got it all. There will be more!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I just googled the term "blowing coat" and got to Wiki where there was this picture of a Newfie laying next to his fur that had just been brushed out of him...OH MY DOG!!!! Whatever fur comes out of Mandi, I will be thankful it is not this dog...

-
-
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 PM
Crowned Member

LOL, I start with one of those funky brushes with the bristles on one side and the metal spikes on the other. Soon that is abandoned for the shedding blade (horse tool). After I am knee deep in hair, I switch to a rake that has longer bristles, and get even more out.

What is bad is when they sit down in the mounds of hair and I have to pull that off too!

I have been known to fill up a brown paper grocery bag.

At some point, I throw up my arms and make an appointment. It is usually a little embarrassing seeing the floor after they are done with my dog, but it is worth it.

This time, I got a jump on it and called the Mobile Groomer. They came out last Monday (I think it was last week). Anyway, on Thursday one of the vet techs was all excited they are going to sell furminators and wanted to try one out on my dog. Yep, they pulled out still more hair!!!!

The last time I had taken Babsy in for a grooming, they asked if I wanted her furminated. I said they could go for it. They did. The longer hair on her back legs near her butt looked almost like they shaved her when I got her back. I will not let them do that again.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 09:14 PM
Banned

don't vaccum the hair. it'll clod or stop the vaccum.
don't worry they only shed let's say, April through August.
when it starts to get cooler it'll slow up. wait untill you clean behind the refrigerator or the book case. look under the bottom
of that big chair in the livingroom. don't look under the bed
or behind the dressers.

the hair is everywhere. my GF is a massage therapist. she
has to wear all black for work. there's several people that work at the salon with dogs. the people with dogs get dressed at work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page