How often do you bathe your dog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

How often do you bathe your dog?

Hi, I was wondering how often people bathe their GSD? I have had Dozer since November and only given him one bath. He now goes to daycare and by the end of the week he STINKS like a kennel and the other 15 dogs he has been playing with in the mud and snow. He gets pretty dirty.
I know with my Cairns that is is bad for their skin to bath them too often but they are a completely different breed, they do not shed and have to be hand stripped.

Thanks!

Jess
Dozer (9/23/08-GSD),
Scooter (12/26/03- Cairn Terrier)
Sadie (7/24/2004- Carin Terrier)
Mylo (6/99 Maine Coon Kitty)
Ally (8/12/99 Ragdoll Mix Kitty)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Crowned Member

Re: How often do you bathe your dog?

Jerzey is 11 months old and we've only given her two baths... she hates them so it's just too much of a hassle to wash her every time she gets a little dirty. Plus, I've also read that it isn't good for GSD's to get baths because it can strip the coat and skin of essential oils. I just bought dog wipes and uses those when Jerzey needs to be cleaned up a bit.

Ashley,
proud owner of:
Jerzey, Bi-color GSD. 4/23/08
Koji, spotted shelter kitty.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 06:40 PM

kyah is 6 months and she's only ever had 1 bath. i read that gsd can get dry skin really easy, and a bath will only clean away the skin oils, so to only bathe them like twice a year.

though i dont have the problem of a doggie day care smell. lol

- Chris

Kyah (born 09/09/2008)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 07:06 PM

A formal bath about once a year...the kind with soap lol.

Mine are not outside a bunch so that keeps them clean. Also, they play in the kiddie pool a lot though and regular brushing keeps them smelling good.

Melissa & the Girls
*Grace, 7 yo GSD*
*Kira, 3 yo GSD*
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Elite Member

Not as often as i should. my bathroom gets trashed while bathing.
now i go to a self service wash place for dogs. they furnish everything, towels, soap blowdryer etc. waiting for warmer temps, dog is overdue!

RAMSEY 10/07

Mark.o
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Crowned Member

If my dog is just muddy from being out in the yard during the spring thaw, I will just hose him off as needed.

For a stinky dog, I will bathe as often as needed and I don't care if that's weekly. If you are bathing a lot, I would definitely consider using a good separate conditioner so you don't dry out the skin and coat.

Elaine and the herd
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Master Member

Mine is 8 months old and we got her at 9 weeks. Because she developed blow-out runs, the first few days, she was bathed 3 times a day.

After that was once a week for a month, then twice a month.

Now she gets bathed when she gets stinky, as she is VERY active everyday, as well as gets 2-3 times per month swims in the lake, so baths are about once a month.

With all this bathing she still has a very nice soft shiny coat, and I do nothing special. I even still wash her with the original cheapo Top Paw puppy shampoo, even though "they" say not to.

She is on a premium grain-free dog food, however, which may contribute to my not having to use conditioners or "adult" shampoo, even with all the bathing.

The nice thing about bathing often when they're young is that they get desensitized to baths, sprinklers, hoses, rain, etc., which darned convenient, until the time comes when you DON"T want them to run out of the house when it's raining, and you're late for a dinner appointment and you're all dressed up! LOL

Obedience, Behavior, Personal Protection Training

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maya vom Hinterland - whelped July, 2008
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:00 PM
Crowned Member

Since he is young I would recommend every other week to get him use to it.You can use the wipes that petco/Petsmart sell to freshen him up in between.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member

I bring chrono into the shower with me every 3 or 4 months. I usually just use conditioner though so it moisturizes and deodorizes without stripping the oils.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AllieGSince he is young I would recommend every other week to get him use to it.You can use the wipes that petco/Petsmart sell to freshen him up in between.
This is WAY too often. This will strip essential oils from the coat and dry out the skin. Also, those wipes have chemicals in them that should not be used on dogs (or people).

I bathe mine once a year usually. We do lots of walks in the rain and snow so they get cleaned off. If they get muddy I wipe them down with a damp towel.

What are you feeding? That usually has more to do with how they smell than anything else. Even my 14 yo doesn't smell.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page