Vet Visit - Interceptor - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Vet Visit - Interceptor

I took my dog into the vet yesterday, for a worm check and heartworm check. I had seen a white worm in his stool, and wanted him to get checked for Heartworms in preparation for spring. Originally going to be a $50 visit, but ending up being $224.

This is what all they said they had to do:

Internal Parasite check - 15.00
Heartworm test - 31.65
Comprehensive Physical exam- 30.00 (said they had to do that in order to do the heartworm test)

Then they wanted to do his yearly vacinnations.
Rabies
Bordatella
DHPP Booster - 50.00 for all three

Heartworm and worm check came out negative, though I saw a worm in his stool on two separate days.

They gave me Interceptor for Heartworm prevention
and Drontal worming medicine for tapeworm because they said he probably had it if I saw it - that was $100.00

Just wanted to see what you thought, and if Interceptor is good for heartworm prevention. I see it doesn't take care of fleas and ticks, I will need something separate for that.

What about the drontal - if it came up negative, is there any harm in giving it to him. I know I saw two worms, one was about 2 inches long, and kind of stretched and moved like a rubber band.

He weighed 95lbs, I can still see his waist, but they said to get him down about 5 lbs. He is 19 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Vet Visit - Interceptor

I use Interceptor on my dogs think its great but for a 6 month pack its $55.00
No it doesn't prevent fleas and ticks I use advantix for that
april thru October or first frost here and I love the stuff

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to southerncharm Send a message via Yahoo to southerncharm

Those prices sound right. Drontal is rather expensive. I've spent $40 on it for a 40 lb dog before. When you seen tapeworm, you usually see the dried up segments around the anus - looks like grains of rice. Not sure that what you saw was tapeworm, but it doesn't hurt to go ahead and use it.

Interceptor will take care of any other intestinal worms as well. I love interceptor, I've always used it. The other heartworm preventatives that claim to take care of fleas (sentinel) actually only act as a flea birth control of sorts...they don't kill the fleas, just stop them from breeding. I've tried Sentinel, but still had to use a topical flea preventative.

~Rachel, CPT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. Fleas and ticks are a big problem in Alabama, and even though he is strictly an inside dog, we have acreage behind our house that we take him on our daily walks, and he can get covered pretty quick. Already seeing them increase as I brush him daily.

I have seen none of the small things dried up on him, and i brush him daily, but I know I saw a two inch long worm in his stool, and it was moving.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 11:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to southerncharm Send a message via Yahoo to southerncharm

Quote:
Originally Posted By: TontoThank you for your response. Fleas and ticks are a big problem in Alabama, and even though he is strictly an inside dog, we have acreage behind our house that we take him on our daily walks, and he can get covered pretty quick. Already seeing them increase as I brush him daily.

I have seen none of the small things dried up on him, and i brush him daily, but I know I saw a two inch long worm in his stool, and it was moving.
Did the worm resemble a piece of spaghetti? If so, sounds like a roundworm.

~Rachel, CPT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Crowned Member

You don't need annual vaccinations, healthier if you don't give them annually. Only rabies needs to be given according to your state lae.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Elite Member

If you saw a worm in the stool then it was a tape worm and the only way an animal can get tapes is from fleas. Your dog had to have eaten a flea to get the worm. Animals may not shed worms in every stool so the sample you brought in could have turned up negative and been true.
For fleas and ticks try Advantix or Vectra 3D. Sentinal HW medication also takes care of fleas. Frontline is slowly being phased out according to our sales rep. In the mean time, flea comb your dog when he comes in from outside.

~ Kathy ~

Kai vom Theishof ~ GSD
Maggie ~ Pug
Natasha ~ Queen Kitty
Midnight ~ Boss Kitty
Lennie ~ "Special" Kitty
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Knighted Member

I use interceptor for heartworms and comfortis for fleas.

~Alison

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page