Revolution flea/tick/heartworm preventative - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Revolution flea/tick/heartworm preventative

Has anyone had experience with the flea/tick/heartworm/ear mite preventative called Revolution? I usually just use Frontline for fleas and ticks and then use a different heartworm preventative but the German vets here are pretty much referring everyone here to use Revolution. I have heard it's fairly new, so I don't know if I want to go with it or not. Anyone have any advice?

Carla
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mommy to...
Meesha and Sammy // 3 year old GSD and Collie mix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Revolution flea/tick/heartworm preventative

Sorry

I use Advantix on my pooches and interceptor for heartworm

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Elite Member

We used Revolution on Max when we first took him in case of Demodex (sp?) mange, but are going back to our routine of Frontline and seperate heartworm meds.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:27 AM

Revolution is my favorite when it comes to application. In two hours it is dry and you can bath your dog. Frontline is sooo greasy and stays there for a week!

With Revolution you have to treat for Tape Worm seperatedly as it doesn't cover those. Revolution does not work as well in regards to ticks as Frontline either. The company gives free tape worm tablets for cats along with the purchase but not for dogs

So all that being said, Revolution is used on the cats here and Frontline Plus for the dogs along with Heartgard Plus in the Spring to Fall months. Then if needed I use Revolution for parasites the rest of the year.

-Lisa
Tytan LC GSD 2/22/09
Tucker Gldn Retr 12/24/07
KayLee Gldn Retr 5/17/04
Felines 1-18 yrs

Küryakyn LC GSD 6/09/08-3/17/09 Missing you...
I'd give anything for 'Just One More Day With You'
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Crowned Member

I use revolution and have had no problems. We don't have a flea problem around here so I cant say how effective it is for fleas. I get it for about $12 a dose which to me is less costly than applying a heartworm and then a flea/tick preventative.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Elite Member

A friend's dog recently died of Lyme's disease (ticks) and was on Revolution. Apparently Revolution does not protect against ticks. However, you may not have a problem with that in Germany. We use Frontline.

Ozzy, CGC, HIC

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:01 PM

Our rescue came to us with sarcoptic mites and this blog told us that Revolution would work on them too. We confirmed it with our vet but are waiting to see if the current Rx will work first. This must be an all purpose application for multiple problems with dogs.

mtman
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for all the info

Carla

Mommy to...
Meesha and Sammy // 3 year old GSD and Collie mix

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 12:11 AM
Crowned Member

I use revolution, covers heartworm for six weeks so that is how often I use it. Dogs that do get demodex get Advantage Multi, as Revolution takes out sarcoptic mange mites and ear mites but is not effective against demodex mange mights.

So far no problems. Advantage Multi is more globby, glutany and it is hard to be neat with it. Revolution is thinner, goes on and works good. I never see a flea ever. I have never seen a tick either though it is not supposed to work against ticks.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Weber1bbut are going back to our routine of Frontline and seperate heartworm meds.
this is my preference as well. i dont want to medicate for everything year round when fleas and ticks are not an issue year round (well, in michigan, anyway)

Derek

owned by:
Kimba (gsd) 5/9/07
Saby the mutt~1/15/01
Frisco (gsd) 6/21/02
Luka (feline)d.o.b.~2004
RIP-canines-Buddy, Roxy, Kujo, Kato, Pierre
felines-Chanel, Panther, TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page