Dirty, dirty White GSD.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Dirty, dirty White GSD....

.... so Juno (4 mos) ran into her friend Olive at the park today and they proceeded to roughhouse and chase each other all over the black top, which then got all over her otherwise shiny white coat.

When Juno has been dirty and muddy before, a good rub down with a towel did the trick -- but the black just isn't coming off. I tried a damp towel too.

Do I need to suck it up and admit that it's time for a bath? Anyone else have tips for cleaning a white coat? (She's not stinky, just dirty.) If she needs a bath, do I need to use shampoo? If so, what kind do you recommend?

Thanks!

--Rhena, owner of
Juno, White German Shepherd, female b 10-15-2008, adopted 01-05-2009

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Elite Member

Re: Dirty, dirty White GSD....

Yes you will need to use shampoo to get it out it is probably the only thing that will. If your dog doesn't have any allergies any good quality dog shampoo will work. They have shampoo for white coats too that you can use.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answer (and for the necessary encouragement!). I'm totally in denial about having to ever bathe Juno -- in part because it's winter and dry and she was already itchy when we got her (small amounts of olive oil in her food helped that) -- but in part because I know it's going to be a potentially crazy experience in our shower! (Although when we first got her, she did try to sneak into the shower while I was in there so maybe she'll like it!)

Off to the supply store to check out shampoo options....

--Rhena, owner of

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Crowned Member

You could try Johnson's baby shampoo on a warm washcloth (or 10). My pup has a habit of getting yuck stuck to his head and that's what I do with him.

I've often wondered how people keep a white GSD clean. Seems like a contradiction of terms - white and german shepherd!

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SunCzarinaYou could try Johnson's baby shampoo on a warm washcloth (or 10). My pup has a habit of getting yuck stuck to his head and that's what I do with him.

I've often wondered how people keep a white GSD clean. Seems like a contradiction of terms - white and german shepherd!
Love it! I'll let you know how it goes! She's been pretty clean up until now (or at least easy to clean off!) but we've only had the first snow melt and rainy April is just around the corner!

Thanks for the tip! (I'm might try the baby shampoo and washcloths before I hit the bath.)

--Rhena, owner of

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Elite Member

you can still do the same thing with the regular dog shampoo too just do spot cleaning but you need the shampoo to cut the dirt you know

It was hard keeping our husky clean with her white chest and paws so I know where you are coming from. You can have a bucket with soap and clean the paws and chest outside, I do that with Sonny too. Then towel dry and let them in. Therefore you don't have to do the whole dog.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Ellyyou can still do the same thing with the regular dog shampoo too just do spot cleaning but you need the shampoo to cut the dirt you know

It was hard keeping our husky clean with her white chest and paws so I know where you are coming from. You can have a bucket with soap and clean the paws and chest outside, I do that with Sonny too. Then towel dry and let them in. Therefore you don't have to do the whole dog.
Great idea! We towel off her paws in our entryway. It's probably too cold to have buckets of water out here -- but I think I'll use your suggestion in the bathtub first. Just spot clean her without giving her a full bath unless it's clearly necessary!

--Rhena, owner of

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page