How much food? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

How much food?

How much food should I be giving my 8 month old female? I give her a little in the morning so she has something in her stomach, but I give her the most at night. She probably has about 4-5 cups a day, is this right?

Also, I'm concerned she's eating too fast, which could be bad on her digestion. Any ways to slow this down?

Sydney (Black GSD Female - 6-12-08)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Crowned Member

Re: How much food?

Otto is 8 months, he eats 4 cups of day - what the bag says for a 75 lb dog - he's 65 lbs but his vet says his weight is perfect.

I measure his food out into a plastic box, enough for the day in one box (learned to do this when I had Luther who was a sow in a dog suit). I give him about a cup and a 1/2 for breakfast then another cup around 1pm and the rest about 6pm.

You could try putting just a little in her bowl then giving her more 10 minutes later.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Currently I give her 1-1/2 cups in the morning then the rest at night. She's not overweight, the vets say she's nice and solid at 8 months and weighs about 60 lbs. I just wanted to know if I'm doing things right. She eats Wellness Super 5 Mix Large Breed Adult Formula by the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Banned

my boy is 90lbs and he gets 1&1/2 cups am. and 1&1/2 cups pm. his kibble always has some tasty things added for taste and nutrients.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Wow, thats a big boy! Hope my girl gets close to that...

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

As much as she needs to keep her at the ideal weight for her build and activity level.

There is no way we can tell you how much she needs.

My 10 month old eats a little less than 3 cups a day. (She weighs 63lbs) BUT the food I feed has more than 100 MORE calories per cup than what you are feeding.

If she will eat it, I would feed her equal amounts AM and PM rather than one small meal and one large one.

As far as eating too fast, there are special bowls you can buy to stop that, OR you can just put put something in her bowl like a couple of cans or a large smooth rock or 2 so that she has to eat around them.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

I feed the 4 cups a day divided in 2 meals.What is your reasoning for only feeding a little in AM but a lot in PM?He might be eating fast because he is so hungary.If he doesn't slow down they have dishes designed to make them eat slower.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

The reason I give her a little in the morning is basically so she has something in her stomach so she's not so hungry later on. I'd like to give her more in the morning, but I have limited time with her and eating more usually makes her have to poop and it doesnt pass through her system till after I'm gone. This is why I give her just a little in the morning, so it doesn't trigger her "poop threshold" but still gives her a small meal. Plus I usually give her quite a few treats when she goes in her kennel.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Crowned Member

What are you feeding her? Sometimes the food can have a factor in the poop.Anyway you can get up earlier so she has more time to eat and poop before being kenneled?

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: bdavis86Currently I give her 1-1/2 cups in the morning then the rest at night. She's not overweight, the vets say she's nice and solid at 8 months and weighs about 60 lbs. I just wanted to know if I'm doing things right. She eats Wellness Super 5 Mix Large Breed Adult Formula by the way.
I stated her food above. I suppose I could get up earlier, though I don't want to lol. I already get up at 5:30 which is pretty early for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page