What is nail clipping day like at your house? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

What is nail clipping day like at your house?

My dogs are really, really good about me clipping the nails. I just got done doing all 3. I went and got the clippers and sat down on the beds with them and they all sniffed it and layed down next to me. First Max, he just lays there and lets me go at it. Then Tank, he actually kind of enjoys it and lays on his back. Then Jessie, she just lays there too but has to make a few noises. I have never got the quick (spelling?) and been doing it for years. Then its off to a treat for them for being so good

Next its Sammy my cats turn but I have to wait for my husband to get home because he holds him while I clip. Sammy is pretty good about it too, but not near as good as the doggies.

~~~Cathy~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Re: What is nail clipping day like at your house?

RUN!!!!!!!

Actually I dremel and the only one that resists is Kayos. I keep telling her resistance is futile but she is not buyig that.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Knighted Member

LOL, too cute Mine are the same way. They actually push the other out of the way to be " First " And then who ever has to wait sits very impatiently and can't wait

Now my cat...... My previous one was so easy as well, but this little wild monkey thinks I will kill him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

I have to coax Risa over to get hers Dremeled. Once I'm doing it, she's okay. Not thrilled. Not even close to enjoying it. But tolerating it. She does try to pull her paws away on occasion. After we're done, she gets a treat.

Though I wish she would enjoy it a bit more, at least I don't have to shut her kennel door to keep her from hiding on me when I pull it out!

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Risa's Blog)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM

I Dremel too. They don't put up a fight but they do squirm a little. Nothing crazy, though. I just hate how long it takes.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Lakota pulls her back feet away but they have always been a little sensitive to touch. It has progressed with her age.

Chimo just lays there but since he hurt his knee his one hind foot is a little more sensitive to touch as well. He gently pulls it back but doesnt fight it is I use minimal pressure to hold his foot.

Tika- just kicks back on her side with her "rest" command and waits for me to finish. Every now and then she will break but only because she thinks she is done.

Rayne- "are ya done yet?" Also just lays in her "rest" position and bounces up to zip around when I release her.

KC sulks a bit when she sees the clippers. If she can she will try to sneek off to the bedroom but comes back when called a bit reluctantly. Lays down obediently when asked. Gingerly tucking her toes under her body. I ask for a rest and she will lay her head down while trying to keep her feet tucked under her body. She will occasionally pull her foot back but will lay there as I clip them. She had one nail cut short twice when she was young. I swear the quick in that toe was twice as long as any other on her feet! But all in all she is ok with it, just subtley lets me know she doesn't really want her nails done.

Kanuck..... well I tell him to sit and he does but he isn't happy about it. I snip them easily because his are all nearly 100% white. He is also the perfect gentleman and cleans up all of the "fragements" while I am working on the others.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Crowned Member

Brady just lays there, well chomping on his treat
has no Problems with it, I started to pretend to do it as training when he was a pupper so He is fine with it.

My lab on the other hand bolts the other way hates having her paws touched

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Elite Member

it's no trouble at all, they are used to it since it's been done since they were babies. Now, ask me if they like - no, I don't think so!

GSDgirlAL-Proudly Owned by:

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Crowned Member

Bianca's old owner used a dremel. She doesn't seem to mind the dremel or clippers at all. Unfortunately I also have 8 cats in the house right now so that is 148 cat nails to clip (one is polydactyl.) They mostly accept the clipping ok, I mean without biting me or clawing me but they do struggle some.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Crowned Member

Grimm relaxes, enjoying the same "spa music" (I hum a happy tune) he hears during his blissful grooming with the brushes. There's so jerk-away reflex, so I don't grab his feet, rather I fold 'em over upside-down, like a farrier when shoeing a horse. He gets (and GIVES) many kisses. I started fussing with his feet and "pretending" to nail clip when he was a pupster.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page