for those that are using comfortis - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

for those that are using comfortis

what are you doing for tick control? i am fed up with frontline plus, it has gotten to the point where i feel like i'm putting water on him, not flea control. i really want to switch to comfortis, but i'm worried about not having tick control (i do not want to do both comfortis and a topical like frontline plus). i live in florida and there are ticks basically year round. any suggestions?

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Knighted Member

Re: for those that are using comfortis

I use comfortis....but i have not really needed much in terms of tick control. even though i live in south texas, we aren't out in the brush much and i have never seen a tick on my dog unless we have been out in the brush. i always check over my girls when we come back from brush stuff....still no ticks. i do use adams flea and tick shampoo to bathe occasonally, but i doubt that would really do much. unfortunately i dont know what to suggest, what does your vet suggest. i have to head to the vets next week to pick up some more comfortis, i will ask what he suggests for tick control on comfortis pups.

~Alison

Shadow-10 year old GSD (03-16-99)
Duchess-4 year old GSD (11/04)
Gianna vom Wildhaus-GSD (3-2-09)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Elite Member

Try Advantix. I use it on both of my dogs and so far no problems. The reason Frontline doesn't work anymore is because the fleas have become immune to it. It has been on the market for 11 years and nothing was done with it.

~ Kathy ~

Kai vom Theishof ~ GSD
Maggie ~ Pug
Natasha ~ Queen Kitty
Midnight ~ Boss Kitty
Lennie ~ "Special" Kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 PM
Master Member

I used preventic collars when we went hiking, but when I switched to comfortis it was nearing the end of tick season so I haven't had to worry much about it yet. I plan to get fresh preventic collars for them to start wearing in the spring.

Brenna: GSD Born 7/16/06
Mollie: Beagle
Fezzik: GSD/Husky/Golden?
Chewy: Shih tzu/Yorkie
Crunchy: Pug/Schnauzer?
Monty: GSD born 5/24/14
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BrennasMomI used preventic collars when we went hiking, but when I switched to comfortis it was nearing the end of tick season so I haven't had to worry much about it yet. I plan to get fresh preventic collars for them to start wearing in the spring.
oh that's a good idea. that way he isn't constantly on something else, only when he needs it. great!

gsdlove, i was planning on asking my vet as well, we are due for an appointment soon, so i will definitely ask him! -but i do like brennasmom's idea!

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

On the Preventic, do you leave it on the whole time or can it be kept off and just put on and left on for a couple days or so while there is a concern, such as after a hike?

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member

how is comfortis any different from program?

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Crowned Member

Oh did find this though:

June 24, 2008

COMFORTIS® and ivermectin interaction Safety Warning Notification

Today the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) is announcing that it has received reports of adverse reactions in dogs receiving the drug Comfortis® (spinosad) concurrently with high, extra-label doses of the drug ivermectin. The clinical signs of these adverse reactions are consistent with ivermectin toxicity.

Comfortis® (spinosad), manufactured by Elanco Animal Health, a division of Eli Lilly and Company, is a monthly oral, chewable tablet used for the prevention and treatment of flea infestations on dogs. Veterinarians who use high, extra-label doses of ivermectin to treat dogs with non-responsive demodectic mange and other conditions should be aware that some dogs have developed signs of ivermectin toxicity when ivermectin is used concurrently with Comfortis® (spinosad).

CVM and Elanco Animal Health are advising veterinarians that dogs receiving extra-label doses of ivermectin should not receive concurrent treatment with Comfortis® (spinosad).

CVM is working with Elanco Animal Health as they address this issue. Additional information regarding this safety warning can be obtained on the Elanco Animal Health website.

Lilly Companion Animal Health Technical Bulletin: Spinosad and the Extra-Label Use of High Dose Ivermectin for the Treatment of Generalized Demodicosis in Dogs - http://elms.xh1.lilly.com/10788_03_tech_Bulletin.pdf

Angela

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:extra-label doses of the drug ivermectin.
I discussed this at-length with my vet, it's basically seen when ivermectin is used to treat mange cases, NOT in heartworm prevention. I space Heartgard and Comfortis out by about a week and a half even though they only recommend a few days. I'm working to push it out to two weeks apart.

Quote:
Quote:how is comfortis any different from program?
Aside from the fact it only handles fleas, it handles them WELL. Within an hour, you can see the fleas are spazzing out and dying because they'll drop off the dog and the dog will start scratching like mad. By the next day, you're done and over with and the dog is flea-free. Anytime a flea jumps on and bites, the dog scratches a little for awhile, then nothing. When a flea bites a Comfortis dog, they basically have seizures where they go crazy, crawling around like mad, then they slow down and die. I've never seen anything work so well. Plus, it's a pill, so you don't have to worry about bathing a dog on Flea Control Day nor watching where you pet the dog. It works very well! It only kills adults though, not the other stages, but it seems to kill the adults rapidly enough.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Crowned Member

I think it states for mange in the article?

Program handles only fleas as well. It's also a chewable pill, so again anyone know the difference?

Angela

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page