question??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

question???

i know this is going to sound like a dumb question but i need to figure out something for duke a bath. he is starting to smell really bad like a dog and i dont like it with him being in the house.

Of course i cant give him a bath outside like i do in the summer and he is so huge i cant put him in either of the tubs and definitly couldnt do it alone in the tub. so i was wondering if some of you could tell me how you give baths in the winter time.

im not to big on taking him to a groomers because hes so hyper and he doesnt like it at all if he thinks someone is going to make him do something. i guess i could get a muzzle but that makes him even more crazy!!

i have those dog wipes but there not working very well. so any insight would be great! thanks alot.

Shawn & Stacey

Duke~8 1/2 GSD~ 2007~2016 Always Near
Molly~ 3 GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 01:59 PM
Master Member

Re: question???

I have one of those shower heads with a long neck that you can remove from the bracket and use as a hand held shower. Put 'em in the tub and wash away.

Kandi
Rokanhaus German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canaan CT
"Some Dogs come with a Pedigree, Others Come with a Legacy"
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels

I have a booster bath that I have in my basement is saves on the back, but if I don't do it myself then I do take them to the groomers which they know how to handle dogs

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Banned

is there a dry dog bath out there? maybe they have a powder you can put on him and then brush it out.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Some cities have self serve doggy washes. You pay a fee and get a tub and all the equipment to give your dog a bath. Maybe check to see if there is one in your area.

We have a dog bathing tub (like groomers use) in our basement. So giving baths is never an issue.

If those don't work, groomer is the only option. Most groomers know how to handle dogs. Though I've never been able to justify spending that kind of $ and have always bathed my dogs at home. Before we had the elevated dog bathing tub, we just used the tub in the bathroom. I can't imagine a GSD being too big to fit into a tub?

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:32 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I got an extra-long hose on my hand-held shower-head, and bathe my dogs in the tub. Not that hard if you don't mind getting wet, LOL.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: rokanhausI have one of those shower heads with a long neck that you can remove from the bracket and use as a hand held shower. Put 'em in the tub and wash away.

Same here. they hate it - but hey I hate some things in life too....

I find that they are too long to fit in the walk in shower.....
But the tub in the guest bath is also a full sized tub and I put down a towel so they do not slip all over the place in the tub.... and I can set the temp and shut the water off as I scrub a dub dub the dogs in the tub (no- not at the same time, silly!!)

Kate
Dublin and Gracie (RIP)
Timer (RIP)

Guinness Tennessee Porch Hound

Roxie Shennannigan

RILEY

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to VectorSketcher

We have a place here called wag-n-wash, where I take my dogs to get a bath, it is a self servicing place where they provide the big tub and all the doggie shampoo and conditioner, and you wash them yourself, usually my husband will go with me to help me wash my big boy because I can't do it by myself, then afterwards they have like a blow dryer station where you dry them off. I love that place, they clean up the mess for me!

-michelle-
Riddick-4yr GSD
Rogue-1yr GSD
Bishop-10yr Cat
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

i think i might check into the self wash. i dont know if pet smart here would have one or not but im going to call today. as far as to big for the tub, he fits in the tub but in our guest bathroom he can just step right over it it is very low.
in my bathroom we have a garden tub and i have back problems so its hard for me to bend over it and get to him...i guess i could stand in it with him. im not scarred to get wet. ill figure something out.

thanks for the replies.

Shawn & Stacey

Duke~8 1/2 GSD~ 2007~2016 Always Near
Molly~ 3 GSD

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

I use a waterless shampoo on my dogs during the winter or when they don't need a full bath but could use something to make them smell a little better.

I use this kind..

http://www.petco.com/product/4606/Mi...-for-Dogs.aspx

I really like it and it's quick and easy to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page