first vet visit and i have a question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

first vet visit and i have a question

Kaycee has hook worms and maybe one other(could not hear vet clearly)that were found in the fecal test. The vet wants me to pay 40 for meds. She says that will cover all worms. My problem is 40 is not in the budget after the vet bill. I need suggestion on alternitive cheaper resolution.
Tia
Hope this is the correct forum still a newbie at this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Crowned Member

Re: first vet visit and i have a question

Did you ask if you could make payments ... maybe post-date a check to them?

$40 is not that bad a price for the meds. And no, there is nothing cheaper that will WORK. Hooks are really nasty worms.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:01 PM
Crowned Member

There is nobody you could borrow from for a short time?

Better to go ahead and get it DONE rather than risk more
problems.

I agree $40 doesn't seem too bad. But if finances are that tight,
it hurts.

Valerie

Tamsen's Dogster page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Crowned Member

It's $40 for the health of your pup--just skip out on a few "out to eat" meals or anything else you can and I wouldn't think it would be a big deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Crowned Member

Cinobyte, after you get this taken care of PLEASE budget some money for your pup! You would not believe how expensive this breed ends up being. For six months of flea control we just plunked down $70. Our annual vet exam was around $150+ including a heartworm test. We pay about $30-$50 (give or take) on food each month (it's VERY hard to do it for less than that and still have a healthy dog eating quality kibble), and awhile back when Renji had a cough, it was about $80 for the visit plus meds. Do you have any sort of buffer if your pup eats something, gets a blockage, and requires emergency surgery? Or if Kaycee breaks a bone? Or has EPI and requires special digestive enzymes to live?

I don't mean anything bad, I just want to make sure you have some plan when bad things do happen, because they will. It happens to us all and usually at all the wrong times.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

I dont care to pay for the meds I just thought 40 sounded kinda high for de-wormer. I purchase so much every day stuff online for 40 to 50% off. I also thought many other pet owners took advantage of online shopping to save money.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Crowned Member

If your vet will give you a script to buy it online, go for it. But in this case, I'd get it straight away so I can start treatment without worrying about shipping. Otherwise I'll get meds from Walgreens or Publix when possible or go online if my dog can wait a few days for shipment.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Crowned Member

Some people do buy things online but script meds always come from the vet for Rocky. I want to know exactly what he is getting and his vet is the best person to make sure he has exactly what he needs.

Diana you are right having pups is expensive. Rockys annual vet visit last weekend was $120. That does include his heartworm for 6 months though.

Danielle

Mom to:
Rocky - 3 year old Black GSD
3 Skin Kids
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 10:39 PM
Crowned Member

I buy a lot of things on line, the only way I would buy a prescription on line is if the Vet wrote the script and I could buy from a reputable source. Buying Meds you need a script for on line some place where they say you don't need a Script is like playing Russian roulette with your pups life. More than likely any thing that says it is X and can be purchased without a Script is counterfeit.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

I may have given the wrong impression. Yes I am very frugal..... I will pay when ever it is needed. It just seemed the last time I purchased a de-wormer it only cost me about $20 and I thought the vet was trying to pull the fur over my eyes and my wallet I assumed many of you had already located and purchased a cheaper solution. It has been a few years since I had a pet. It took me along time to get over losing the last.

Short back ground

This is my third gsd.
The first one I had for about 8 years she got shot in the front shoulder by the crazy guy next door at my old residents. That cost me 1000's. She did not lose the leg but could not use it.

The second one I had for about 13 years Bandit got hip dysplasia. I won’t even go into the cost of keeping him comfortable until the very end.

The third and current gsd Kaycee I hope to have as long as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page