Who doesn't vaccinate? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Who doesn't vaccinate?

I came across this and was kind of shocked, am I understanding it correctly that he is saying not to give your dog any shots?

http://leerburg.com/vaccinosis.htm

Axel DOB 7-24-08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Re: Who doesn't vaccinate?

He's not saying to never give the dog any vaccines, but rather to not follow the age old tradition of yearly "boosters", no matter what vets say. They are not only unnecessary, but overvaccination can lead to a host of other health problems. The initial puppy series of vaccines last for years, and in some cases for the life of the dog. Other vaccines, such as Corona, are pretty much completely useless for dogs of any age, yet some people still give them and stress out their dog's immune system in doing so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Crowned Member

Renji is only getting rabies vax from now on. When we got him as a rescue at around 8-12 months of age, he had his first round of shots (that we know of), at around two years of age he had a 5-way (would have preferred distemper/parvo only but this was all the vet had) and rabies a couple weeks later to reduce the chance of reaction, and that's that- no more vaccines except for rabies until he's old enough to get medically excluded from all vaccines period.

I do not agree with no vaccines at all, but I think doing the puppy shots then a one year booster plus the rabies shots as required by law is fine. I agree that over-vaccination is a big problem.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:54 PM
Crowned Member

I only give the puppy shots, and may do a booster a year from the last puppy shot. I also do not let my puppies get a rabies shot at 4 months. Most vets want to give the last "puppy shot" and the first rabies shot at the same time. But I "just say NO". Siren got her rabies shot at 7 months.

I can't remember the last time my older dogs got "regular" shots. But it has been a LONG time. (They are 9 and 10yo.)

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

We do the puppy shots, booster at a year and booster at 4 years. Then that's it. We're considering skipping the 4yo booster with future dogs. And rabies every 3 years as required by law. We also make sure to spread out the shots and not give rabies near the same time they get others.

post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Crowned Member

I don't give vaccines past the puppy stuff. Grimm I think had ONE set adult boosters perhaps, but nothing more.

Rabies? Yes of course, it's the law... but I get the longest interval rabies vaccine allowable by law.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris WildHe's not saying to never give the dog any vaccines,...
He DOES however say that "they" NEVER give ANY vaccinations even to puppies.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Crowned Member

I do the normal pup shots, rabies as required at 4 months. Then at the 1 year mark, they get a 3 yr rabies. My older dogs are on 3 yr rabies and I typically will do their annual shots on a 3 yr basis now instead of yearly. (never same year as the rabies)

Vishnu had extreme issues with allergies and immune issues and I just feel more comfortable not vaccinating all the time.

Here by law you have to give vaccines to puppies for health certificates which are required to be given to any puppy buyer.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Crowned Member

I no longer vaccinate. I don't know what I would do if I had a pup with a clean slate.

post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Chris WildWe do the puppy shots, booster at a year and booster at 4 years. Then that's it. We're considering skipping the 4yo booster with future dogs. And rabies every 3 years as required by law. We also make sure to spread out the shots and not give rabies near the same time they get others.
Chris, you seem to be quite educated on many things gsd, lol, so I figured you would be a good person to ask questions.... mind if I pick your brain??
I have been doing the yearly thing for all 3 of my dogs. I didn't know until now that it might not be the best thing. Crap! I've been doing what my vet recommends, which is yearly, plus bortadella every 6 mos (this I only do because we board sometimes when we go out of town, and they require it) We just went out of town the other day and boarded at the vets. Jake was due for his rabies and boosters, so they gave it all to him at once!!
I'm guessing from your vaccination routines that you think it's better not to do it every year. (well, obviously...) Can you explain to me the reason? Most vets make you feel like your dog is going to get an awful illness and die if they aren't given shots every year! I appreciate any info....life is a learning process!
Also, sorry if this has been asked and answered elsewhere----

Emily
The Rescue Crew
Diesel 14 wks Blk GSD
Bentley 14 wks Sable GSD
Tasha 2, Shih Tzu
Oskar 3, Sable GSD
Jake 4, Sable GSD
Allie 10, Bi Co GSD
Keller, RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page