my 7 month GSD has stopped eating - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By lhczth
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Unread 06-24-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

my 7 month GSD has stopped eating

Hi
I am new to the group as i have concerns about my GSD.
She is 7 months old and has been eating RAW since i brought her home at 8 weeks (weaned onto it).
She used to eat her food no problem but recently - over the last few weeks she doesnt seem to be enjoying it.

it can take hours for her to have a meal and that is by taking it away after 15-20 mins and trying again 30 mins later. sometimes she will not eat it at all and i will put it away until tea time.

i'm feeding twice a day (well trying to) but over the last few days she is not touching it at all, i have tried adding a little bit of dried biscuit and she will pick the biscuit out but i know i shouldn't be doing that but you worry they are not eating.

Do you think she has gone of RAW completely should i look at alternatives or should i not worry so much - she will eat when she is hungry?

Any tips would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Unread 06-24-2019, 10:03 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Is she throwing up? Does she have diarrhea? Is she acting sick otherwise like not playing like she normally would? If not, I would put the food down, give her 15 minutes and if she doesn't eat then put it away until the next meal. She just may not be hungry and needs the amount of food cut back. I wouldn't add anything to entice her since that can just make for picky eaters. If she is hungry she will eventually eat.
Springbrz likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Unread 06-24-2019, 11:33 AM
LRP

Is she spayed? Have you checked for signs she is going into heat?... 7 months is not to early
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Unread 06-24-2019, 12:26 PM

A sudden loss of appetite would be a good reason for a veterinary exam to check for things like a fractured tooth. I would also replace your meat if you haven't -- it could be contaminated/spoiled, or she may have eaten some previously that was, and now has a conditioned aversion to it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Unread 06-24-2019, 12:29 PM
Elite Member

Problems with her teeth or mouth was the first thing I thought of, too.

Definitely get the vet to check her out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in