Raw meat - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Raw meat

I wanted to ask you guys how you feel about your GSD eating raw meat. I got most of my information from a YouTube channel called “1st508th airborne”. There are always misconceptions and beliefs about this and I believe it’s the route I am going to take with my 1.5 year old GSD who I’ve recently started giving canned sardines with her dry kibble and she’s loved it and hasn’t had any stomach issues. This week I started giving her raw chicken drums and wings along with sardines , without any kibble. She has been loving the food. I plan on giving her whole fish and adding different parts of the chicken like gizzards etc..

The people who have not done any research on this topic , please do so, very interesting subject being that our dogs derived from wolves.

Thoughts ? Opinions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:24 PM

you will find many raw feeders here.
there is an entire forum dedicated to this topic: https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...f-raw-feeding/

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 07:12 AM
Master Member

I feed my GSD raw so I feel fine about it. It can not just be done willy nilly. There is a right way and there is a wrong way and doing it wrong will not provide your dog with proper nutrition and will cause issues. There are a lot of raw feeding groups on facebook that can help you plan meals a source products. I think you would do best to feed kibble while you research more about raw and how to feed balanced meals.

https://perfectlyrawsome.com/

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

OP, in your research, are you tracking micronutrients on a spreadsheet and feeding according to NRC guidelines? Be very careful about "winging it" based on Youtube videos from someone who may or may not be formulating properly. You can't just give some sardines, chicken drumsticks and wings -- that's not a nutritionally adequate diet. I recommend that you check out Monica Segal's site and books, if you're not currently tracking micronutrients on a spreadsheet:
https://www.monicasegal.com/

The hassle of tracking that stuff is why I use a base-mix with raw. It does the work for me. There are many base-mix options to either help through the transition while you figure it out, or just use to save time in a busy life -- The Honest Kitchen, Dr. Harvey, Sojo's, Volhard Nutrition, and Balance It all have convenient options. Here are some products to explore:

https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog...meals/base-mix
https://www.drharveys.com/products/dogs
https://www.sojos.com/mix-meal/sojos...e-mix-dog-food
https://www.volharddognutrition.com/
https://secure.balanceit.com/recipeg...php?rotator=EZ
LuvShepherds and Femfa like this.

Last edited by Magwart; 06-13-2019 at 12:58 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

All of the replies have been very helpful , thanks !
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:35 PM
Knighted Member

Raw meat alone is not a balanced diet. Wild carnivores don't just eat the meat: they eat a certain amount of bone, plus the organs and even the gut contents (raw feeders call this green tripe). Make sure you dog is getting a blanced diet, as said above.

As for dogs being domesticated wolves, no, not true. Just compare the dentition of a small dog, or even a German shepherd with a wolf. The wolf has much bigger teeth and stronger skull bones which help them take apart raw carcasses. I know of several people whose dogs have damaged teeth when chewing on bones and needed expensive dental work to fix their mouths. Bones can also get stuck in teeth or in the throat, stomach or intestines. Too much bone in the diet can cause severe constipation. Raw wild meat and fish can also have parasites in it that can harm your dog. So, educate yourself if you're going this route.

Another difference between dogs and wolves is that domestic dogs, as a result of thousands of years of living with humans, have become much better at digesting carbohydrates. In times of food scarcity, dogs ate whatever they could get their paws on to stay alive, and that included grains and vegetables and fruits. So, don't let anyone convince you that you have to feed raw in order for your dog to be healthy.
Saco likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:42 PM

I've been feeding my GSD raw since we brought her home at 10 weeks. We fed the dog before her raw too. We now use a company called Texas Tripe that premixes the food and has grass fed beef. We do this because it's easier, not because it's necessary. The dogs respond beautifully. Raw is the way they are supposed to eat. It's not all that complicated and there are tons of websites to help you. Basically, its 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% liver. Vary the meat because different meats have different nutrients. Liver is a meat vitamin pill and is not negotiable on a raw diet. Don't use too much chicke (omega 6) and try, try, try to stay away from CAFO meat if you can afford it. If not it's still better for the dog than dry dog food. Get them some fish (or sardines) for omega 3 fatty acids. My GSD gets 2 cans per week. I throw in a good quality vitamin, some MCT oil and some probiotics for good measure.

Watch "Pet Fooled" on Netflix if you are still wondering if you should switch from dry dog food to raw.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Raw meat alone is not a balanced diet. Wild carnivores don't just eat the meat: they eat a certain amount of bone, plus the organs and even the gut contents (raw feeders call this green tripe). Make sure you dog is getting a blanced diet, as said above.

As for dogs being domesticated wolves, no, not true. Just compare the dentition of a small dog, or even a German shepherd with a wolf. The wolf has much bigger teeth and stronger skull bones which help them take apart raw carcasses. I know of several people whose dogs have damaged teeth when chewing on bones and needed expensive dental work to fix their mouths. Bones can also get stuck in teeth or in the throat, stomach or intestines. Too much bone in the diet can cause severe constipation. Raw wild meat and fish can also have parasites in it that can harm your dog. So, educate yourself if you're going this route.

Another difference between dogs and wolves is that domestic dogs, as a result of thousands of years of living with humans, have become much better at digesting carbohydrates. In times of food scarcity, dogs ate whatever they could get their paws on to stay alive, and that included grains and vegetables and fruits. So, don't let anyone convince you that you have to feed raw in order for your dog to be healthy.
I will be doing more research as to how to balance her diet. Magwart recommended THK, and the reviews look pretty good as a base with myself adding whichever protein.
Sunsilver likes this.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1701dlf View Post
I've been feeding my GSD raw since we brought her home at 10 weeks. We fed the dog before her raw too. We now use a company called Texas Tripe that premixes the food and has grass fed beef. We do this because it's easier, not because it's necessary. The dogs respond beautifully. Raw is the way they are supposed to eat. It's not all that complicated and there are tons of websites to help you. Basically, its 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% liver. Vary the meat because different meats have different nutrients. Liver is a meat vitamin pill and is not negotiable on a raw diet. Don't use too much chicke (omega 6) and try, try, try to stay away from CAFO meat if you can afford it. If not it's still better for the dog than dry dog food. Get them some fish (or sardines) for omega 3 fatty acids. My GSD gets 2 cans per week. I throw in a good quality vitamin, some MCT oil and some probiotics for good measure.

Watch "Pet Fooled" on Netflix if you are still wondering if you should switch from dry dog food to raw.
Great information ! I’m sold on feeding raw , at this point is just learning how to do it the right way , and I’ve gotten a lot of great information . Thank you.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 03:06 PM
Crowned Member

I also use a base mix because my older dog has health problems and Iím not willing to experiment. My vet is also completely against raw bones and since my dog has had stomach ulcerations before, I agreed. But a lot of raw feeders here prepare everything themselves. I also decided base mix is more cost effective because Iím not throwing out a lot of vegetables and fruits that might spoil before I can use them all.

Some states require all fresh fish sold in markets is frozen first to get rid of parasites. So, I would not feed raw fish unless it has been frozen a while. I also freeze chicken and turkey, then thaw, for the same reasons. One week at true freezing should kill any worms, if there are any. Iím sure someone will disagree with me about that, which is fine, I like hearing all sides.

Someone off the board told me not to feed pork to dogs. I still donít know why. Fish can cause inflammation, too, but not in all dogs and some types contain mercury. I think Tilapia and sardines are alright?
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page