Feeding Lamb Headdd - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Feeding Lamb Headdd

My dogs birthday is coming up in a few days, and I have a raw lamb head I'd like to give him.

I used to feed him solely on a raw diet, but he had allergies to chicken, turkey and duck, and couldn't feed him lamb and fish due to financial reasons.

Would there be any issues with feeding a lamb head? Would you give him around 20 minutes to eat, or let him chow for longer? I don't intend on letting him eat the whole thing, but I want to make his birthday extra special. He'll likely get a piece of salmon too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minoli View Post
My dogs birthday is coming up in a few days, and I have a raw lamb head I'd like to give him.

I used to feed him solely on a raw diet, but he had allergies to chicken, turkey and duck, and couldn't feed him lamb and fish due to financial reasons.

Would there be any issues with feeding a lamb head? Would you give him around 20 minutes to eat, or let him chow for longer? I don't intend on letting him eat the whole thing, but I want to make his birthday extra special. He'll likely get a piece of salmon too.
I don't like the 20-minute rule as not all dogs are fast eaters. If a dog is still eating, it should be left alone until it is satisfied.

The only time I would do the 20-minute rule is if the dog is not bothering with the food.

If it is still eating, then leave it in peace.

I feed lamb heads once a week or so and no problem. There is a lot of bone, so for the next day's feed, I would just give muscle and some organ meat.

Giving the salmon may be a bit too much as the lambs head can be quite filling; however, each dog is different.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. He ended up eating around half of the head, and became uninterested in the other half. He had loose stools for a couple days, fed him salmon and sweet potato the next day to even out all the bone in the lamb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyllgi View Post
I don't like the 20-minute rule as not all dogs are fast eaters. If a dog is still eating, it should be left alone until it is satisfied.

The only time I would do the 20-minute rule is if the dog is not bothering with the food.

If it is still eating, then leave it in peace.

I feed lamb heads once a week or so and no problem. There is a lot of bone, so for the next day's feed, I would just give muscle and some organ meat.

Giving the salmon may be a bit too much as the lambs head can be quite filling; however, each dog is different.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page