Raw feeding in Regina Saskatchewan Area - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Femfa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Raw feeding in Regina Saskatchewan Area

Hey guys

My dog is starting to get itchier and his coast isn't looking as good as it used it. I believe the food we are feeding now is no longer agreeing with him.

I currently feed royal canine and it worked well for a few years now. He would never have solid stools until we switched to this food.

I'm looking to try feeding raw but the more local food, carnivora costs about $135 for 25lbs. Seems abit to steep. I would really prefer if we could find a way to feed him raw for around half that price if possible.

Is anyone familiar with a good source for raw that is a decent price.

If not what would be a good high meat kibble that would be good to try to help offset costs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Crowned Member

Iím not familiar with that brand. How many days of food can you get out of 25 lbs? I just switched mine to raw. I started with Honest Kitchen base and Ziwipeak meat, but quickly switched to fresh meat, which is much less expensive. I buy in bulk, cut it up, divide it into daily portions and freeze. Itís a lot of work but worth it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:08 PM
dOg
Elite Member

I am so lucky, I have a supplier who grinds and mixes raw to produce the correct muscle,organ and bone(80-10-10%) ratios. The product comes in a 2 lb tube, which is the correct portion for a 100 lb dog. I give it frozen, the ice crystals do a good job cleaning teeth. It's not cheap, around $2.50/lb, but it's already prepared. I also know folks who order from Medford with good results. Another upside to raw is a much lower volume of waste, and stools that disappear quickly in the sun for those missed by pooper scooper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoocli View Post
Hey guys

My dog is starting to get itchier and his coast isn't looking as good as it used it. I believe the food we are feeding now is no longer agreeing with him.

I currently feed royal canine and it worked well for a few years now. He would never have solid stools until we switched to this food.

I'm looking to try feeding raw but the more local food, carnivora costs about $135 for 25lbs. Seems abit to steep. I would really prefer if we could find a way to feed him raw for around half that price if possible.

Is anyone familiar with a good source for raw that is a decent price.

If not what would be a good high meat kibble that would be good to try to help offset costs.
An awful lot of the forum members are in the US and try as I might they seem to never grasp the expense of raw feeding here in Canada, they also have a hard time grasping that many of the foods they recommend aren't sold here.
I have yet to see a premade raw that won't require that I quit eating. I also priced out bulk meat and meat is expensive.
Horizon, GO!, First Mate are all quality kibbles that won't completely trash your budget. I add 2-3 raw meals a week as I can and use things like chicken hearts for treats.
Don't believe that you cannot feed raw and kibble, I have done it for years just watch WHAT you feed and feed in separate meals.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dOg View Post
I am so lucky, I have a supplier who grinds and mixes raw to produce the correct muscle,organ and bone(80-10-10%) ratios. The product comes in a 2 lb tube, which is the correct portion for a 100 lb dog. I give it frozen, the ice crystals do a good job cleaning teeth. It's not cheap, around $2.50/lb, but it's already prepared. I also know folks who order from Medford with good results. Another upside to raw is a much lower volume of waste, and stools that disappear quickly in the sun for those missed by pooper scooper.
This would be ideal, they suggest 2lbs a day for my 80lb dog. Did you just go to a butcher or is it a specific raw dog food supplier.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
An awful lot of the forum members are in the US and try as I might they seem to never grasp the expense of raw feeding here in Canada, they also have a hard time grasping that many of the foods they recommend aren't sold here.
I have yet to see a premade raw that won't require that I quit eating. I also priced out bulk meat and meat is expensive.
Horizon, GO!, First Mate are all quality kibbles that won't completely trash your budget. I add 2-3 raw meals a week as I can and use things like chicken hearts for treats.
Don't believe that you cannot feed raw and kibble, I have done it for years just watch WHAT you feed and feed in separate meals.
Horizon legacy? he was on horizon complete but was having issues with solid stools. Haven't tried legacy yet.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 AM

Hi ,
I live in Ontario but feed a pre-made raw . I have an 95lb male . Following the feeding guidelines he would need 1.8lbs per day . After doing that for some time he became over weight . I played with the amounts and now today feed him 1 lb a day ! He is lean but not skinny ...my point is don't let those raw feeding calculators fool you and know that like humans every dog is different . It may not cost as much as you think. My raw costs me about $130 for 30 days . I find it a small price to pay for what I feel are the advantages over most high quality kibbles.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:30 AM

Both my GSD & Golden Retriever are fed raw. I feed them Mountain Dog Food from Edmonton, Alberta. You can check them out on the web at Mountain Dog Food. They have a good variety, chicken, turkey, beef and fish. I buy it from a local feed store here in BC. My dogs each eat 1 pound per day. My cost is approximately $170 monthly. My local supplier gives me a discount as I buy 5 boxes at a time. You may want to check locally to find a local supplier.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Master Member

Look up Real Raw Reasonable on Facebook. They're from SK and deliver to Regina & Saskatoon area, often making trips to AB as well. They have pre-made mixes that you can choose from and will deliver to your door or to an area where you can pick it up. Very reasonable prices.
Sabis mom likes this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page