Live raw feeding? Opinions? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Live raw feeding? Opinions?

I saw a couple posts on Instagram of people letting their dogs after living rabbits and chickens to heighten their drive. I only saw good comments about it on the account saying it’s good for the drive but I want some more opinions because I’ve never seen people take it to that level instead of training hunting dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:07 PM
Crowned Member

What drive??? You don't need to let your dog chase and kill an animal to increase drive. That's just ignorant (not you...the people doing this). You can throw a ball to increase prey drive or let them chase a rag for the same effect without being inhumane to other animals.

No, hunting dogs would not be trained to do that. People don't want their food destroyed.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:09 PM
Elite Member

In my opinion, it diminishes the humanity of the dogs' handlers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:38 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with the other posters. There is no need for cruelty.

If they are letting them kill live rabbits and chickens, what ultimately is the prey they are teaching the hunting dogs to pursue? What do they want the hunting dogs to do when they catch the prey?
Pan_GSD likes this.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

As far as I’m concerned they aren’t teaching them it for hunting. I just mentioned that because I’ve seen that method used in say hog dogs who kill boars. I believe these dogs are for personal protection...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:47 PM
Crowned Member

allowing dogs to kill livestock and wildlife will NOT teach it personal protection skills. It will only teach it to chase and kill small animals.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Absolutely NO.
Jax08, sebrench, Pan_GSD and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennaandkurama View Post
As far as Im concerned they arent teaching them it for hunting. I just mentioned that because Ive seen that method used in say hog dogs who kill boars. I believe these dogs are for personal protection...
That is what I figured. They use hounds to hunt the boar but then they send in the hog dogs once the hounds have the hog cornered. So no, they don't hunt with the hog dogs.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:15 PM

wow.... just wow...
some people... really
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:44 AM
Elite Member

It will teach your dog to break from your side and chase small animals.

We work hard to make sure our GSDs don't think it is ok to go "squirrel!!!" and lose their you know what. So cruelty aside from a basic safety point for your dog, not advisable. Try playing two ball. Much more interactive and handler driven I know a lot will disagree with me on this and that is ok, but I don't even want to do lure coursing, personally. I put a lot of work into my dogs teaching NOT to give chase lol Someone disagreed with me saying it's the same as throwing a ball for them. No, not really. I don't typically throw squirrels and bunnies. Unless I'm being attacked lol

On a side note I went on a guided boar hunt in Florida (what can't you do in Florida??). The Doggo Argentinos were dressed to the 9s in leather armor..they chased the boars and bit and held them while the hunter dispatched the animal. Had they not been called off after it was over (via ecollars) they would have done it in for sure. It was not my cup of tea, but then again I am not a Doggo or Cane Corso person, I'm a herder/flock guardian type of enthusiast. So no, I don't allow my dogs to kill other animals.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page