Puppy has allergy/diarrhea - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jax08

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Puppy has allergy/diarrhea

Hi guys,

Zola is 17 weeks today.

Two weeks ago, I decided to switch her from Acana puppy kibble to a raw food diet, after noticing a rash on her stomach/armpits (and reading a lot about different diets).

Since I suspected her to be allergic to chicken and it is suggested to start a raw diet with white meat, we started with "Naturally Raised Whole Pork with Grass Fed Beef Tripe". It went super well and her stools got a lot smaller, hard, and less smelly than with the kibble. She loooved it, her fur got shiny, she seemed happier, all the good stuff. At the same time I've been treating her rash with a shampoo the vet prescribed. After 9 days we finished the pork box and when we returned to the raw food store they suggested she switches to beef. They said I didn't have to introduce it slowly. I still bought 2 pork patties and gradually introduced the beef from Sunday lunch time, but maybe not gradually enough because she got explosive diarrhea on Monday night. On tuesday morning her stools were basically water so I returned to the raw food store and they suggested I go back to pork right away as she might be intolerant to beef.

She's only been having pork since lunch yesterday, she seemed to be doing better, but in the last 3 hours she went out 3 times with very loose stools.

Is she reacting to the pork? Or is it the remains of the beef?

She seemed to be absolutely starving after the diarrhea episodes tonight, was restless and kept going to the freezer for more food so I gave her a pork bone that has meat on it, and a bit of pork bone broth.
I used to feed white rice to my dogs when they would get diarrhea but I'm reading all those things about not mixing cooked foods in a raw food diet ... thoughts?

Also her rash (diagnosed as puppy pyoderma) seems to be controlled by the medicated shampoo but wants to come back as soon as I don't bathe her for 24h, and it seems to have gotten worse when I gave the beef for a day. I ordered a dog allergy test kit online hoping to avoid the 1200$ the dog dermatologist wants to charge me and am sticking to pork until I get results but in the mean time ... is it ok to only give her raw pork and pork bones/chews/treats for 3 whole weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

Have you run a fecal test?

Have you ruled out trichinosis from the pork?
https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions...dg_trichinosis

Common things occur commonly: commonly environmental allergies cause skin reactions....so the shampoo from the vet is most likely to help the rash by removing the environmental allergen.

Food allergies are rare. DIY tests have earned some significant skepticism as to accuracy (scroll down this blog post to read about the Nutriscan test):
http://skeptvet.com/Blog/2015/06/can...indowdressing/

Last edited by Magwart; 04-18-2019 at 09:58 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:25 AM

The puppy pyoderma usually comes after they get one of the puppy shots. It tanks the immune system, and they can't fight off the bacteria on the skin. The only way I have been able to take care of it on mine was with antibiotics unfortunately..... Shasta has gotten it twice. Once after one of the booster shots, and once right after her first heat. I talked to my vet about it and she said that their immune system drops right after the heat cycle. I hope it doesn't keep happening every 6 months!

You need to be feeding a complete diet. You can't just give them meat. They need a lot of other supplements, vitamins and minerals. I would suggest doing a commercial raw food that is for "all life stages".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

I would put her back on the Acana whilrpe you figure this out. She's only 17 weeks and has a very incomplete diet for growing bones.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

The raw diet I'm feeding her is supposed to be complete; it has the right balance of muscle/fats/organs/probiotics and vegetables from animal's stomachs, in one patty, based on the PMR raw diet. I read a ton of articles/talked to the vet/the people at the raw food store and from every aspect it seems to be complete.

The night was somewhat challenging, she woke up 4 times to go out (thank god she is completely potty trained even when it's pressing!! I'm proud of her!)

She is completely fine otherwise and playing/being her usual puppy self, but she has diarrhea still.

I gave her rice in her raw food this morning. Hopefully this will help. I'll call the vet and see if they can take me in for a stool checkup...

Thanks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:11 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Make sure they check for giardia and coccidia.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Turned out she had giardia ...

We finished the antibiotics yesterday and she is doing great.

Transfered her to royal canin hypoallergenic for a 6 week trial to find out what she is allergic to ... starting to wonder if it's the grass. Aaaah I can't wait to figure this out, poor itchy baby...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

Why don't you just get her tested? Believe me...it will save you money in the end. I spend years buying expensive foods, all sorts of "remedies" and then I spent $500 on allergy testing (250 for enviromental and 250 for food). He's allergic to dust mites and grass, white potatoes and green beans (which makes me laugh. he's never had a green bean in his life and very few white potatoes). Zero allergies to proteins.
Sabis mom likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page