Maverick 8month GSD/Malinios - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Maverick&Lee
  • 1 Post By Judy Untamed

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Maverick 8month GSD/Malinios

HEY there im a first time dog owner and of course you go with the best lol, Gsds are a hand full. I live on a farm and he's chewing everything up , he's learning . he stopped chewing cords in half , I can call him off the cattle when he's chasing them , so he is learning, I just have one question ,I want to incorporate raw venison into his diet, the neighbour gave me half a frozen for two months white tail, I started cutting it up for maverick and he is eating the meat bones and all, mainly the rib bones, is this ok or should I stop, i watched him he broke it down very easily, he is a big boy , he should be pushing 100 pounds very soon , I make him run every day , he's a great dog excellent temperament
, I just need to know if Im potentially hurting his insides with these bones , please let me know what you think , thanks
Kaivmill likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

WOW no replies !!! thanks a lot , il go some wheres else lol
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:30 PM
Elite Member

Hello! I don't raw feed, so I don't have any advice for you, but I'll reply to give your question a bump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:40 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

If he is digesting the bones OK and they are not making his poops really hard and dry, then he is probably fine. I have fed venison in the past.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:25 PM

Sometimes, if you post during a busy day full of active posts, your new one can get buried and not noticed right away...especially if it's a specialized question so that only a select few members might be able to answer.

Folks here love to help, so I am sure it wasn't anything personal.

Personally, I don't know anything about feeding raw, but I'd love to see pics of your dog...he sounds great!
das1 likes this.

-- Judy

Yazzy the feisty GSD ~ Jan 6th, 2019

Waiting in Heaven:
Mira the goofy Doberman ~ Dec 1st, 2007 - June 2nd, 2018
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:04 PM

It’s perfectly fine, the bones are good for his teeth and the extra calcium is always good for a growing pup.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 01:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Stella View Post
It’s perfectly fine, the bones are good for his teeth and the extra calcium is always good for a growing pup.
Sorry, I disagree. The big bones can break his teeth and "extra" calcium can cause skeletal issues. Does he get muscle meat and organ meat as well?
Dog is now about 1 year old. Not sure if the OP "went somewhere else" but just wanted to put in my 2 cents.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 10:31 AM

I have been raw feeding for almost a year now and rib bones are absolutely fine but with your pup being the size he is i would aim for bigger bones , mine personally is only about 85 pounds and i try not to give him rib bones unless i am watching him just because for his size he tends to choke on the small pieces once he starts breaking them apart. I go to the butcher and get beef femur bones cut in half and its the perfect size for dogs where you dont have to worry about them choking and it keeps them busy for hours trying to eat the marrow out of the middle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page