question about red meat - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By Jax08

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

question about red meat

So I am still in the planning stages of switching Zelda to raw food. I have been reading everything I can before I start, I just want to make sure I do this right.

I have read that dogs need to have at least 50% of their diet come from red meat, the rest can be white meat. I didn't realize they needed so much red meat. What would the outcome be if she ate mostly white meat with occasional red meats thrown in, say 75% white to 25% red? My plan was to raise as much of the food as I can, so it would be mostly chicken, rabbit, turkey, and duck. Would this be ok or should I just stick with kibble?

As for organ meat does it matter what animal it comes from, can it come from the white meat animals only or does some of it have to come from red meat too.

Zelda, "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Crowned Member

She would lack vital amino acids such as taurine. You need to figure out what the diet is by NRC requirements instead of from blogs and forums where bad information has been shared as gospel.

What are white meat animals? Poultry has dark meats, hearts. Duck is not a white meat at All and is very different than land poultry.
JessicaR likes this.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
She would lack vital amino acids such as taurine. You need to figure out what the diet is by NRC requirements instead of from blogs and forums where bad information has been shared as gospel.

What are white meat animals? Poultry has dark meats, hearts. Duck is not a white meat at All and is very different than land poultry.
I was going by the site perfectly rawsome. They say that white meat is chicken, turkey, quail, and farm raised rabbits, they didn't mention duck, but the duck I would be raising would be the flightless pekin duck not the flying wild type.

Under the section of feeding cats raw they talk about taurine for cats and have a chart that tells how much taurine is in different meats, so as long as I feed some beef and pork plus the heart (said heart has lots of taurine)of the other animals I should be ok?

This is why I haven't started yet I really don't want to mess this up!

Zelda, "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Crowned Member

I have fed my cat raw for years. He's will be 14 this year. Yes, taurine must be in their food. Sardines, hearts. Catsvare more sensitivd to calcium and phos ratios.

As far as the dogs, it's more than red meat vs. Poultry. Oysters are high in zinc and copper. Kelp has iodine. They all have to be in the right amounts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 02:55 PM
Master Member

It takes a little bit of time, but it is worth it for peace of mind and clarity. If you make a spreadsheet from the NRC requirements I used this website to find what sources Top food sources of Vitamin D-3 (cholecalciferol) provided what was needed. Took no more than an afternoon to make sure I could cover all the needs. HTH

Raw feeding IMO is totally worth the effort.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Master Member

Now I see taurine was NOT on my NRC list.... i do feed chopped heart....and now I know what I will be reviewing Saturday
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

@JessicaR send me your email and I'll send you my spreadsheet.
JessicaR likes this.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 PM

Duck is considered red meat fyi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page