Local Raw Product. Good or Bad? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Question Local Raw Product. Good or Bad?

Hello!

So I have a local butcher who I didn't realize made raw ground dog meat for $2 a pound.

My question is should I invest since I will be switching to raw? Here is the short video showing what they put in one of the mixes.

A comment posted by a watcher - Your mix is 84% muscle/15% fat/1% bone. The recommended raw feed ratio is 80% muscle/10% organ/10% bone. Heart is considered as muscle not organ, such as liver. Your mix has unneeded fat and is missing organ and bone.

So here's my question. Assuming I can't keep a decent budget with individual items how bad would it be to have this as part of the mix? The fat is unneeded as far as I know, but my dog does need to gain weight so perhaps that is good?

Since the bone content is low and the other things as well could I included mostly bone meats in addition? Of course organ as well once she can handle that.

Just wanting some thoughts. I still have to get individual prices so it may not be worth my money for this, but I wanted your opinions since I've never done raw.

I was thinking of starting on the all chicken version and moving her up to the other meats that way her stomach can handle it. Is this a good idea?

If you guys think this is a good idea I would do this is addition to normal meats and and such.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 07:27 AM
Master Member

You will have to add to and adjust quite a bit. You will still need to buy bones and organs to add to it. Some dogs may handle the fat okay and others may not.

If you are feeding a growing puppy I wouldn't use it. Puppies need every meal to be balanced and this would be almost impossible to truly balance since it doesn't look like they weigh anything, just toss in their scraps and leftovers. Meals done like they do tend to have a wide variance as to what is actually in it. One time it may have more fat, the next more meat, ect... so if you have a sensitive dog you may have issues with consistency.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Crowned Member

For an adult dog, something like that could be used along with a commercial base mix like The Honest Kitchen Preference, Dr. Harvey's Veg-to-Bowl, or Sojo's Pre-Mix -- all of which have the calcium in them already and just need meat added to make a nutritionally complete meal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
You will have to add to and adjust quite a bit. You will still need to buy bones and organs to add to it. Some dogs may handle the fat okay and others may not.

If you are feeding a growing puppy I wouldn't use it. Puppies need every meal to be balanced and this would be almost impossible to truly balance since it doesn't look like they weigh anything, just toss in their scraps and leftovers. Meals done like they do tend to have a wide variance as to what is actually in it. One time it may have more fat, the next more meat, ect... so if you have a sensitive dog you may have issues with consistency.
That's a very good point.

My dog has handled meaty bones just fine but has no experience with that much fat. My other dog I have no idea on what he can handle as a good chunk of his past is unknown. We feed meaty raw bones every few months and recently some left over raw chicken breast, but that's the extent of it.

I don't know what my dog is considered in the raw world. All the calculators say once they are above 12 months they are an adult, she is 1 year and 2 months old so in german shepherd terms still a puppy. I figured for normal raw I'll start her at 3% and go from there.

I think I will stay away from the product for now. At $2 a pound it is a bit spendy to begin with and I agree that they seem to toss scraps and don't weight anything. Best to stay away from that for now.

Much thanks!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
For an adult dog, something like that could be used along with a commercial base mix like The Honest Kitchen Preference, Dr. Harvey's Veg-to-Bowl, or Sojo's Pre-Mix -- all of which have the calcium in them already and just need meat added to make a nutritionally complete meal.
That would make sense.

I think for now since I am just starting I will stay away from the mix as I don't know the actual measurements that they put in the meat. I could see maybe using this is the far future as variety but for now I will stay clear.

If/when I do I will be looking into those products.

Much thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page