Do you feed raw? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Do you feed raw?

Hey guys, let's share! Are you feeding raw? Have you noticed any changes in health of your dog? So whatcha feeding? Please share amount and of what is fed, dogs age, weight, activity level and if using supplements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I am coming up on 20 years of raw feeding. Have weaned 10 litters and raised up a lot of dogs on raw. My foundation bitch was raw fed from 9.5 weeks and I am now 5 generations down from her of raw fed dogs.

A lot of the people I train with also feed raw though many feed a combination with kibble since traveling with raw is difficult (I have done it, except when I went to Germany). Biggest thing I tell people is to do a lot of research. I would rather people feed a good quality kibble than feed a poorly done raw diet. I have seen the results of junk kibble and badly done raw diets.

I won't go into the holistic, ying and yang of why I feed certain things, but what I feed depends on the dog. I have found some do better on some protein sources than others. Some dogs also do better on more bone and others less bone. I feed chicken, turkey (just finished a whole cut up turkey last night), beef, pork, lamb/mutton, duck, goat, fish (canned or whole flash frozen), eggs (and they would be fresh free range eggs if I could afford them) and beaver.

We had a thread started years ago that discussed what we all feed that might be fun to read.
https://www.germanshepherds.com/foru...ogs-menus.html
Mudypoz likes this.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 11:49 AM
Elite Member

I feed raw with kibble supplement. My girl is very food sensitive and her raw diet is primarily beef and beef organ meat. Wish I could afford grass fed, grass finished beef. As it is all beef is pricey. I also use lamb and goat organ meats.
She gets about 1.5 lbs. of raw a day. She is free feed a lamb LID kibble that some days she eats none and others she eats a cup or so. Depends on her mood and activity level on any given day.

Because of dietary restrictions I add supplements:

Bone meal
Organic cold pressed hemp oil
Home made vitamin blend (iron, manganese, zinc, kelp[iodine], vitamin E, taurine, vitamin D, copper, salt)
I often add goat milk powder (THK) and beef bone broth powder (THK)

If I can get her to eat it I throw in an egg from time to time but she doesn't much like them.

Favorite treats are Merrick's beef and lamb lung treats. She has an addiction and we call them her "puppy crack". She also gets LID bison or lamb treats.

She is moderately active. We walk mostly off leash daily for about 1-1.5 hrs. and she gets 15-30 mins of ball/frisbee/flirt pole play once or twice a day. She is 5.5 years, weighs about 78 lbs (needs to take off about 5 lbs).

We feed raw because of her abundance of food sensitivities. As a result her coat is better, itching and chewing is relieved, irritable bowel issues mostly resolved (she does get stress colitis from time to time). Skin rashes have resolved. My girl is the poster child of poorly bred genetic hot mess (HD, Plasmoma/pannus, food sensitivities, weak temperament) raw feeding has saved her from a life of misery. She is my first raw fed dog. My learning curve has been steep and I'm sure her diet isn't perfect but I do try my very best to give her the best balanced diet I can given her dietary sensitivities and very picky eating habits.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:18 PM
Elite Member

Yes. Yes. Less allergy symptoms, shinier coat, cleaner teeth, better breath, less and firmer stools.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:10 PM

Yes, I started 20 years ago and my current 10mth + pup was fed raw the day I brought her home.

I feed a whole prey model diet or a franken prey model diet.

I supplement with salmon oil or fish body oil, if the meat has come from grain fed rather than grass fed.

Healthy skin and coat, bright eyes, strong white teeth, fresh breath, small stools that don't stink.

I don't weigh her food, she eats until full.

I seldom weigh her now as I look at her shape to determine if she is a healthy weight.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Mudypoz likes this.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 02:01 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Yes, I forgot the supplements. Everyone gets salmon oil and vit E. The rest varies on which dog I am feeding. Organ meat comes from mostly beef, some goat, some turkey or chicken here and there.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, well goodness. I am looking at trying it again, i cook with little kibble and add a raw egg and supplements. My older dog started out on raw and then just got to where he didn't want to eat it. But maybe I'll just see of puppy will now.

Question: do you freeze the food before serving? Do you feed any vegetables? Leafy greens? Or primary meat, poultry, and fish?

Thanks!!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionne2u View Post
Thanks everyone, well goodness. I am looking at trying it again, i cook with little kibble and add a raw egg and supplements. My older dog started out on raw and then just got to where he didn't want to eat it. But maybe I'll just see of puppy will now.

Question: do you freeze the food before serving? Do you feed any vegetables? Leafy greens? Or primary meat, poultry, and fish?

Thanks!!
If its from the wild, yes.
I buy from a raw feeding supplier and it comes frozen; I either feed frozen or thawed.

No veg or leafy greens; plenty of grass around if she needs it.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Wish we had a place to buy wild.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:48 PM

Shasta has been on NW Naturals beef since she was 11 weeks old. And a lot of it! She eats almost 3/4 of a pound, 3 meals a day. Nice and lean, all muscle, happy as can be, lots of energy. Just shy of 1 year, and 60 pounds. My wallet is looking forward to her metabolism to slow down a little.......

I wish I had the time to prepare everything from scratch. From everything I have read, these guys do a pretty good job keeping everything balanced in the food. I tried the turkey recipe a couple times, but it was hard to keep weight on her. The beef has enough fat in it to keep her looking good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page