Are you sure you're a carnivore? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Are you sure you're a carnivore?

So I have been thinking of switching Zelda to a raw diet. I have been doing all the research and reading I can, now looking for sources of different proteins and organs.

I think I have a problem, apparently nobody told Zelda she is a carnivore. I was cooking a whole chicken for the fam, and decided to give Zelda the neck just to see what she would do. It was a small neck, about 3 inches only. She took it in her mouth and ran to her crate, where she dropped it! She looked at the neck then at me like what the heck is this thing! She then picked it back up made a couple of chewing motions then dropped it again. After about 5 minutes she finally ate it I am thinking wow if it takes her that long to eat a tiny neck, its going to take her forever to eat a thigh!

She has never been a big eater, she will only eat about 2.5 cups of food, diamond hi-energy, and yes I have tried different brands of food, she will only eat that much, I can sometimes get her to eat up to 3 cups, but that is usually on a day she is really active and has done lots of training. I am worried that if I try and switch her to raw she wont eat enough to maintain her weight. At 59 pounds she is of good weight can feel the ribs easily but not really see them, but she has been down to 57 before and that is too thin for her, I wouldn't be unhappy if she put on a pound or 2.

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 11:39 AM

I hope the neck was R A W ..

I bet you any $$$ she will catch on pretty quick..

I think she took it to her private spot.. her crate and was thinking W O W It's about time I got a real treat. I am going to saver this baby cuz who knows when I will get another.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:21 PM

My 2 yr. old rescue took a drumstick, sniffed it and left it uneaten. A few days later when she was really hungry she

sorta recognized it from a few days before- and gobbled it and a couple more too. It's only been a few weeks and

she loves her RAW diet. She has put on a lot of muscle as well as weight, but she was a starved, skinny thing to start with so she could afford to gain. She gets the skin on all her chicken and that has good fat in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
I hope the neck was R A W ..

I bet you any $$$ she will catch on pretty quick..

I think she took it to her private spot.. her crate and was thinking W O W It's about time I got a real treat. I am going to saver this baby cuz who knows when I will get another.
yes the neck was raw. I don't think she thought it was a treat, I think she was making sure I wasn't trying to poison her lol! I also tried a raw chicken foot, and she wouldn't eat it, my shelties love when I buy them chicken feet for a treat but Zelda just left it in her crate all night. I cant just leave it there during the day because one of the other dogs will take it.

I may have to try to sear the meat at first to see if she will eat it that way.

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in