Offal and Liver dilemma - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Offal and Liver dilemma

Iím trying to acclimate my two GSDS, one a puppy, to raw food. They are both doing well but my attempts to slowly increase organ meat (from a teaspoon) always result in diarrhea, especially with the older girl. Iím at my wits end. I donít want to give up raw feeding but if I canít feed organ meat, they wonít get all the nutrients they need. Has anyone overcome this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 08:51 AM

I puree beef kidney and chicken liver and mix it into their glop (we do big batches). It seems to help a lot with loose stools.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:20 AM
Knighted Member

Bump...I don't feed raw, so I can't answer this. Hopefully someone who does will chime in and help!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Organ meat should be about 10% of the diet with 5% being liver. Do you feed it twice per day, the 1 tsp?

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslover60 View Post
I donít want to give up raw feeding but if I canít feed organ meat, they wonít get all the nutrients they need. Has anyone overcome this problem?

Your dog might be a candidate for a base-mix to round out the nutrients and ensure a complete diet -- Balance It, The Honest Kitchen's Preference, Dr. Harvey's Veg-to-Bowl or Paradigm, Sojo's (with or without grain), Volhard Nutrition....lots of options! The idea behind all of them is you reconstitute a portion of the base mix (usually a powder or chunky powder) with water, add meat (and sometimes nutritional oil, like fish oil), and it's a complete, balanced meal that meets AAFCO standards.

I use Dr. Harvey's Paradigm currently, and it feeds out VERY well. I've also used The Honest Kitchen's Preference for years -- but I stopped due to the pea content in it, while peas are under investigation with the FDA. I've heard good things about both Balance It and Volhard from friends.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Master Member

Can you use organs from a different source? IE if you are using chicken try beef or pork.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 02:48 PM

I haven't had that problem with a puppy, but with an adult dog. I started feeding the organ meat in tiny amounts, like you said, and I would feed it together with some pumpkin, or if I didn't have pumpkin, some slippery elm. Both will firm up the stools.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 03:52 PM
Crowned Member

You are missing nutrients with or without the liver. Create a spreadsheet bases on the NRC values and enter in what you are feeding. Build your diet and supplement vitamins/minerals as needed. If you add in things like oysters and eggs, you can probably do away with the organ meat but you still have to know how much to give.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 10:49 AM

Thanks for the advice. I stopped giving her liver and offal, upped the egg and sardines, and she did fine for a while. A few days ago she started having liquid black oily stool BUT only once a day. The dogs have access from the house to the run so until yesterday I didnít know which dog was the source. I read the terrifying stories of bleeding in the upper gastrointestinal tract but I know each of my dogs has now and then produced similar stools and been fine. My questions are (1) is this a common occurrence with raw feeding and, if not, (2) does a single evacuation daily equate to diarrhea? We are away from home st the moment so I canít get to my regular vet and getting to a vet from where we are isnít simple. But, if needed, Iíll make the trip for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page