Has anyone here personally had any issues feeding raw bones? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Has anyone here personally had any issues feeding raw bones?

I'm just curious. I've always been of the opinion that there are some inherent risks in feeding raw bones, such as perforated intestines, impactions, cracked teeth etc.

Some people on a raw feeding group I belong to are denying that it's even a remote possibility. It's not enough to change me from feeding raw, but are my concerns unrealistic and unfounded? Am I buying into the conventional vet conspiracy?

My dog has painfully passed a large piece of chicken drum stick in the past, so I don't think they are always digested and that there is the potential for problems if the don't crunch them up enough.

It made me worry enough that I feed a commercially prepared raw diet and supplement with things like turkey necks and chicken backs that have softer bones to chew and are smaller and easier to pass.

Am I being untruthful telling someone who's new to raw and asking if there are risks that there are? Raw doesn't seem to be studied at all, so finding any credible information is difficult.

So I'm just wondering if anyone has actually had any problems, or if I'm just scared of the boogeyman?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Crowned Member

I would never say that feeding raw bones poses no risks at all.

When Rusty is given a raw bone he's really chewing it...crunch, crunch. He's always taken his time chewing and swallowing, never been a gulper. We only have one dog so I don't know if that's why he takes his time.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Master Member

I could be completely wrong, but I was given the advice to not feed a poultry bones due to the potential perforated intestines, impaction. Wrong advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Crowned Member

You never want to feed cooked bones, they are dry, brittle and will crack. Raw bones are completely different, soft & flexible, easy for a dog to chew. Weight bearing bones I never give to be chewed & swallowed. They are dense, hard.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 01:04 PM

Raw chicken is what you should always use as a base staple in raw feeding unless they have allergies. Yes there can be some problems but in my experience, the dog is more likely to choke on kibble then get hurt from eating raw bone. I havent ever seen a case of impaction from the bones. Gradually over time the dogs stomach acid will increase to disolve the bone more efficiently. I always started with chicken quarters and necks gradually adding in more mucsle and organs before moving to a whole new protein. Dont expect your dog to devour that cow leg you have in your freezer either. The bone is too dense for most dogs and CAN crack teeth.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg View Post
I could be completely wrong, but I was given the advice to not feed a poultry bones due to the potential perforated intestines, impaction. Wrong advice?
According to these people, yes.

I said my dog pooped one out and it was painful for her, and he said 'but she lived, didn't she?'

Ummm...thankfully, yes, she lived. lol

When I asked that it could potentially have caused a problem, he said no it will go through her system.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
According to these people, yes.

I said my dog pooped one out and it was painful for her, and he said 'but she lived, didn't she?'

Ummm...thankfully, yes, she lived. lol

When I asked that it could potentially have caused a problem, he said no it will go through her system.
Yes it will go through her system. If your worried about it, feed a little less bone or take a mallet and break it up a bit so she is inclined to chew it all

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjwh081810 View Post
Yes it will go through her system. If your worried about it, feed a little less bone or take a mallet and break it up a bit so she is inclined to chew it all

Every time? There's no chance of it getting stuck or causing a perforation?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Crowned Member

We do. Hans cannot digest bone well. His meals have to have bone meal, not even ground bone. He had been doing great and not vomiting, so I tried again, and sure enough, he threw up foamy bile. No more bones, ever.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
Every time? There's no chance of it getting stuck or causing a perforation?
There is always a chance of something happening no matter what. All you have to do is ALWAYS watch your pup while they eat no matter what. If you notice bone chips in the poo that means their body is still getting used to the bone digestion. Eventually it will go away. If your still uneasy about it the take the bone out and grind it to pulp and pour it in. They will still eat it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page