Switching from bland diet to raw again - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Switching from bland diet to raw again

My 14 month old pup has been on a bland diet for 2 days now since she had an upset stomach and threw up some of her food. I started feeding her raw 2 weeks ago.

I have been giving her boiled rice with boiled chicken and today I changed the chicken for boiled ground beef.

She's been doing fine, no vomiting and no diarrhea or even runny stools. But I don't want to switch her back to raw too fast and risk her stomach getting upset again.

Any suggestions?

Should I slowly decrease the amount of rice and cook less the chicken or beef?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Crowned Member

I would decrease the rice, and finish up the cooked meat, then go to raw meat with softer bones, like chicken necks. Stay with chicken for a few days to be sure she is healing. If you can get slippery elm, mix a couple capsules w/ yogurt to make a paste and have her eat that about 15 minutes before each meal. It will coat her digestive tract, help her to heal.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Onyx to the rescue, yay!

I don't think I can find slippery elm here though. Would pumpkin and yogurt work too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Crowned Member

do you have pharmacy's? They may carry slippery elm, it is always good to have on hand. Not sure the pumpkin & yogurt will help, but it may not hurt if she'll eat it.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

She does love both yogurt and pumpkin!

We do have pharmacies, but I'm almost sure they don't sell any US herb varieties here. I will look tomorrow though!

And what would be another good chicken part to give her? I'm a bit scared of giving her necks cause they look so small. Thighs, bone-in breasts?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

she should be able to gulp a neck no problem, Karlo did when he was 8 weeks! If you have access to necks, give a few of those per feeding with some muscle meat, then go with the bigger bones, and add in your mm & organ meat too

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks for the advice! I'll look for chicken necks tomorrow.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I failed. I couldn't go to look for the necks cause my sprained ankle got even more swollen, and I gave her raw skinless boneless chicken breasts this morning, thinking they could be light enough for her to eat, right?
After all she looked well enough, pooped well... so I fed that to her.
Then I gave her 2 tablespoons of pumpkin with a very small amount of boiled rice I had left.

Wrong. I fed her at 8 am, around 3 pm I found that she had vomited a bit of the pumpkin and the rice. I kept watching her and she was doing ok, playing, barking, everything.

Then just a few minutes ago, around 7 pm she threw up everything else. She had swallowed a chicken breast whole if not most of it whole.

I'm guessing I did give her too much and her stomach couldn't handle it yet. I feel so stupid!! And here I was thinking I wanted to go light and not force her stomach too much, aagh!!

Should I just fast her til tomorrow morning? Then tomorrow go back to boiled chicken and rice for at least a couple days more?

Last edited by Dejavu; 12-15-2010 at 09:32 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Master Member

Oh no!! Poor girl! Maybe it was a little too much too soon?

Brody: GSD May 2010 Von der Sauk
Zella : Pitbull, July 2006
Fritzy: GSD February 2008
Pita: Cavalier July 2011
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yeah, I think that was it, Lesley.

I just gave her a TIIINY bit of boiled chicken with just a tablespoon of boiled rice. Something about 3 oz.
I wasn't going to give her anything, but she tried to jump on her mom's and the poodle's bowls, so I served her at least that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page