Mange - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Mange

Upon getting home today from buying groceries we looked across the street and lying in our neighbors yard was a blue pit. We carefully approached and realized he was very friendly. So we were able to get him into our backyard easily.

He has probably about 15-20% hair loss and some sores. Looks like it could be mange or just really dry skin. He had several fleas on him. Have already bathed him and is looking much better. But as I have never had to deal with this I'm not sure if there is more I should be doing to help this pup?

He is retricted to the backyard at the moment and we are not letting our two GSD's go in the backyard. We have already put flea killer on all the backyard to try and keep from an outbreak.

Just makes me so angry because he is not skinny so it looks like he hasn't been lost for long. And when bathing him we found that he still has stiches in his ears from having them cut. But it is VERY apparent that he has had this skin irritation for sometime.

So long as all the pups get along it looks like we have a new addition to our family.

If anyone can provide any advise it would be greatly appreciated. We will of course be taking him to the vet tomorrow to get him further checked out. No one seems to be open on Sundays with the exception of the emergency vets and they won't test for mange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Mange

I would suspect a flea allergy. Can you post pictures? How old is the dog?

Have you reported the dog to A/C, posted on Craig's List and put up flyers?

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

This has all been in the last hour so I have not put up flyers yet or posted on craigslist.

My only concern with doing so is this puppy is in pretty bad shape and it looked like whoever had him before did not care to take care of him. Then again I don't want to be irrisponsible. Just want him to be well taken care of. He looks as if he's had a hard life. And with him being a pit... Just want to be careful.

I can't for sure say how old he is other then that he can't be over a year. Probably anywhere from 6-10 months.

Pictures to follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

And honestly if I did find the owner I would most likely report him/her for animal cruelty.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:52 PM
Crowned Member

I guess you could just call him into A/C and hope no one calls for him.

I've got some natural shampoo/dip here that works really well to take care of fleas and mange and is also very soothing and healing.

http://www.pretentiouspooch.com/store/azmiraneem.html

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Crowned Member

Ouch! I see what you mean. I was imagining a few spots. I hope that is not sarcoptic mange because it's very contagious. Demodectic mange is not contagious.

If it is demodex then I can recommend a holistic treatment that will work. Your vet will want to use the toxic stuff though.

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I hope so as well. It did mention that if it was the scabies that after us touching him we would almost immiedtly be itching as well and that has not happened so keep my fingers crossed.

Just again makes me so angry that people can sit by and watch their animals get like this. It's as simple as if you don't care to take care of a dog then why have one!!!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Crowned Member

Just a word of caution--if it is any type of mange, do NOT allow your vet to give any vaccinations until the mange is under control.

Rafi the malaroo

....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-16-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeowOuch! I see what you mean. I was imagining a few spots. I hope that is not sarcoptic mange because it's very contagious. Demodectic mange is not contagious.

If it is demodex then I can recommend a holistic treatment that will work. Your vet will want to use the toxic stuff though.
Any reccomendation would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page