Back/Disc problem? Yelps when lifted - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Back/Disc problem? Yelps when lifted

Hi group,

Penny's got a new one for me.

At work instead of her jumping into the back of the john deere gator I ask her to put her front feet up on the tailgate and I pick up her rear and shove, for lack of a better word, her into the back.

A couple months ago she yelped when I did it, turning sharply to look at what I had done. Weird I thought as I massaged her leg/back/rear watching for another pain response to know what/where it is hurting. No response. The only time I can get a response is when we do the routine described above where I lift her back end.

She yelped again this week, although I hadn't noticed her yelp in the past few weeks.

Had her at the vet today for rabies shot and he suggested xrays. He said she would need to be sedated and for the whole everything it would cost $200.

He hinted at Intervertebral Disc Disease and commented on acupuncture and gold beads.

What are your thoughts or experiences? I have no knowledge in this area.

Thanks!

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 06:08 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Back/Disc problem? Yelps when lifted

i would definitely do the x-rays usually a bulging disc will show up. you should know what you are treating before you go doing anything.

a look at the vertibrae through x-rays can tell you how bad the disc issue might be. usually if its present there are other areas that have the potential to blow.

i had a gsd with that problem. he did blow a disc in his neck regian, and it usually will keep happening. they treated him with predisone which is not one of my favorites but that is the usually standard of proceedure. we did get into accupuncture it did not help him, not saying it wouldn't be orth a try since they all react different to different treatments. the chiropractic route worked well for us for maintenence. i also changed the diet added vertr-disc as one of the supplements to nurish the spinal discs. long term i would definitely look at some of those alternatives if in fact that is what it is.

debbie

url
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks for the reply Debbie.

I scheduled Penny for an xray Thursday afternoon so we will know more then. I also looked into the supplement you mentioned and it is certainly affordable and I will try it if the xrays reveal that we should head in that direction.

I'm nervous.

Quote:
Originally Posted By: debbiebthey treated him with predisone which is not one of my favorites but that is the usually standard of proceedure.
Why can't they use a non steroidal anti inflammatory?

I have avoided Prednisone like the plague, it would have been such an easy way out for Penny's allergies all this time. I would *hate* to start it now.

Natalie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Crowned Member

Something similar has been happening to one of my dogs over the past 4 years. He yelps when he is picked up to be placed on the table for an exam for example (and there is very rarely a need for it). We cannot find a painful reaction or reproduce this resonse in any other way. It also happened maybe 4 times (that I know of) when he jumped on the bed. Once he had dramatic symptoms (he could not go up the stairs) which completely resolved by the time I got him to the ER. The x-rays at the ER did not show anything conclusive. My regular vet looked at them, nothing. There was no dramatic episode for 4 years now. The vet suggested MRI or myelogram if he keeps having problems and the condition worsens. Since the problems are really minor, I would not risk a myelogram and we have not pursued the MRI either.
I wish I could be of more help. We have been living with this for years now and, luckily, it did not get worse.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks Rebel.

We went and and had the xrays done yesterday. We had the hips and lower backed filmed. The vet diagnosed her with the disc disease as evidenced by the narrow gaps in between the vertebrae.

He said the spacing on the last disc by her tail is the spacing you want to see and if you compare it to the others you could see how little space the others had in between them. He said they are like ticking time bombs- you never know when one might rupture. Nice huh.

He said the condition would also cause spondylosis in time and that the xrays already showed the arching.

His suggestion was an anti inflammatory medication like derramax for life. I didn't think that stuff was good for life. Penny is only 4 1/2 and her only symptom is described above.

He commented on the verti disc supplement saying it was using cow proteins (the Bovine Tracheal Cartilage) for dogs and how that might not work so well. Not sure about that.

So he gave me lots to think about and look into. I am curious to look on the net for other xray pictures to compare.

Natalie

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

Natalie, before I went with derramax I would try some natural antiinflammatory stuff.

Plain Knox Gelatin is a good natural Anti-inflammatory. There use to be a link on the Web but it isn't active any more that had a library list of supplements and natural things and what they did and the studies behind them. The German Athlete's use to use Gelatin to recover from work outs. It also helps rebuild conective tissue.

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 11:33 AM
Crowned Member

I wonder whether Adequan is good for disk problems?
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 07:57 PM
Crowned Member

Adaquin might not help the Disc problem much, but it will help alleviate the spondylosis that has begun.

Vetri disc supplement helped my guy with intervertable disc disease, i also used chicken collagen which is a more absorbable product because its more like what the body produces naturally.

we also did chiropractic care, which did help for a while. accupucture didn't seem to do much good.

i think management of the problem through alternatives and adjusting the dogs lifestyle can help preserve things longer. no jumping, limited running or horsing around like high impact activites etc. this just causes more wear and tare on the body, especially when there are issues like this you don't want to aggrivate it more than is necessary.

so, what we did was a grain free diet, supplements containing both joint products, things that control inflammation like anti-oxidents, fish oils, then limiting the activites to moderate things, chiro, or accupuncture, Adaquin shots, and anti-inflammatories used only when needed.

debbie

url
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks Val for the suggestions on the gelatin- hadn't thought of that one.

Debbie it sounds like you have formed a good plan- one that is very similar to one suggested by Monica Segal when I posted on k9kitchen.

Her response was,

"I've worked with many dogs that have this disease and the following approach seems to have helped somewhat:

Fresh foods, focusing on veggies for antioxidants, as well as supplemental vitamins C (I use ester-c only) and E, vitamin B compound and CoQ10 (in the case of this disease, I use 30 mg per 20 pounds of bodyweight but I haven't gone to more than 100 mg)"

So that's what I am going to try to start with.

Penny already eats a raw diet although I cannot convince her that veggies taste good and she already gets vitamin e and fish oils daily, but I am going to up her fish oils to a more therapeutic level.

I will be adding to her diet a glu.con.msm supplement, vitamin c, vitamin b complex (Segal suggested 25mg a day for Penny but I am going with the 50mg as it wont hurt and the 50mg is more readily available to me) and CoQ10 100mg a day.

I also found this reading that was interesting and brought up many of the points Debbie and Segal referred to,

http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/neuro/Al...IVD_AltMed.htm

Ho hum. . .

Natalie

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 06:17 AM
Crowned Member

Natalie,
i think your on the right track! all this stuff does make a huge difference in preserving and controlling things!

best of luck to you, and keep us posted!

debbie

url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page