Skunked :~o - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Skunked :~o

Indy woke me up at 4:23 this mornining to go out, and I sleepily complied. Heard a bunch of barking, went out to call her in. Of course *after* she had trapsed(sp?) through the house I realized that she had been sprayed by a skunk. Oh my. I have never in my life smelled such a smell I swear law enforcement agencies should use that instead of pepper spray.

I got on the blackberry to look up the skunk formula - tough to concentrate under those situations. I should have thrown her out and bathed her outside, but I wasn't thinking, and she's such a sensitive girl...

The peroxide formula helped cut the stench on her, but it's still bad near the spot where she took the hit. The house smells terrible. Sure wish I would have been thinking more clealy.

When she came in, she was frothing at the mouth, and then vomited once. Turns out that there is something called. Skunk Toxic Shock Syndrome (though I don't know if that is an official name), from the ingestion of skunk spray. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, destruction of red blood cells (some kind of Heinz body anemia), and one terrier guy also noted that it can affect the kidneys.

Just Great. This is the dog that ultimately developed a cancerous tumor at the site of a wasp sting - what are the odds that she will experience no side effects?

I am watching her carefully, I gave her some charcoal capsules right away. This is also the dog that doesn't get vaccinated, so I checked her real good for any signs of scuffle, and, though perhaps controversial, did administer a homeopathic remedy as a precaution. Will also give her an antiviral supplement the next few days, just to be sure.

Poor Indy, she just can't catch a break. Always an adventure, eh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Skunked :~o

Oh no, Lisa! Naturally she has a reaction! So many of mine have been skunked but all I had to contend with was the smell.

I hope she (and you and your house!!!!!) recover just fine.

I have had great success with that natural product called "Skunk Off." They sell it at most pet stores.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Crowned Member

Oh no, poor Indy! Never heard of the toxic shock from swallowing spray. Morgan has been sprayed so many times I've lost count, usually in the face and she's killed 3 of them that I know of. Yuck, they make her mad so she bites the thing where it's spraying from (I saw her kill the first one and parade it around) I know she's swallowed it becuase her breath is horrid for a month even though I brush her teeth.

Yuck yuck yuck. We're never without atleast half a bottle of GG Bean Skunk Clean.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Crowned Member

Poor Indy!

Lisa, I used to live on the edge of a canyon where skunks were prolific (and an old lady fed them cat food every night ).

If the peroxide doesn't work, we in that neighborhood all used inexpensive heavy hair conditioner. Tres Semme, Garnier, Herbal Essence. Get the stuff for dry damaged colored treated hair. Apply really thick and leave on about 15-20 minutes. There is something in the heavy oils of the conditioner that breaks down the skunk oil. I've never figured out what it is. But my dogs were skunked so often, and well, with this treatment, they got salon results at an affordable price!

Hugs to Indy!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks everyone!!

The house is nearly 3/4 cleared out, but the area near where I gave her a bath is terrible.

Indy is also about 3/4 clear of smell, but that stuff is really hannging on, and I so hate isolating her. I will try the conditioner tonight, and I'm going into town tomorrow, and can pick up some skunk stuff then, hopefully if they have it.

Indy is only 33 lbs and overly sensitive - so glad your dogs didn't have such a reaction. It's a bit scary when you see your dog frothing at the mouth!! Keep your fingers crossed that this is the extent of it. On another site, one fellow reported his dog got terrible mouth ulcers about 2-3 days after. I had absolutely no idea of such things.

Okay, off to see what kind of super creme rinse I have in the house!!

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 04:10 AM
Crowned Member

So sorry Indy tangled with the skunk!!!

You can't use ODO-BAN on animals, but maybe you can get rid of some of the odor in your house with it. I've found it kills many odors that I thought were impossible to get rid of.
http://www.odoban.com/OdoBanRetail/O...AQs.html#skunk
http://www.odoban.com/OdoBanRetail/O...ator_FAQs.html

GOOD LUCK & LOTS OF HUGS TO INDY (when she's again hugable)!!!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Crowned Member

Lisa, my RIP Apache got the foaming at the mouth after getting sprayed right near his mouth.

I didn't know any of the newer stuff, so I always just kept a few large cans of tomatoe juice on hand. He got a bath outside with that. Then I found the Skunk off spray stuff that I used after his tomatoe bath. I still found that for a long time any time he got wet or damp I could still smell traces of the stupid skink.

He got skunked 3 times in 7 days. I swear the more he got hit the more he hated those critters.

I hope the smell goes away soon for you. I had to throw away the collar that Apache had on, I couldn't get the smell out of that.

Lots of Hugs to Indy.

Val

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:36 AM
Elite Member

Lisa, I just came across this website yesterday when I was searching for some odor remover myself for a different problem I haven't tried any of these products but thought I would share.

http://www.cleartheair.com/shop/skun...l-removal.html

Michaela

Olivia von Jagenstadt "Nikki" 11/21/2009

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 AM

Alot easier than mixing up a formula (particularly under stressful conditions) is to just have a bottle or two of Nature's Miracle around. I have four bottles on hand at all times. When used properly (must be immediately and without wetting the dog) it is 100% effective and is a natural enzyme.

Hope all is well for Indy of course. Skunks are no fun for anybody!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSDadAlot easier than mixing up a formula (particularly under stressful conditions) is to just have a bottle or two of Nature's Miracle around. I have four bottles on hand at all times. When used properly (must be immediately and without wetting the dog) it is 100% effective and is a natural enzyme.

Hope all is well for Indy of course. Skunks are no fun for anybody!
I am going to 2nd this! I used it on my carpet, also, when Tasha got skunked and ran in the house.

Mocha's Royal Misha, CGC - June 2005
Chaos vom Haus Wilton, CGC - September 2007

Heidi, GSD - RIP

Natasha, GSD - RIP

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page