Jarie's spay day - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Jarie's spay day

Well, I finally did it. I just talked to the vet and am dropping her off tomorrow morning to be spayed.

I am thinking she is strong enough. She turned 2 yrs in February. Her IBD has been under control. She has been eating her breakfast and dinner with no issues, no digestive upset for 3 months now.

I am scared to death. I never worried so much over a spay until her, with her compromised immune system. She will be due for another heat cycle next month, and although she is very clean, I really want to get this done before then.

A few questions... if I may.
I know many of you use a cone. I never have, and have had many females before. But, for some reason, I have a feeling Jarie is going to need something. I would rather use a bite not collar, but I will have to see if I can get one before tomorrow. Will a T-Shirt help some, or will that irritate the area?

Any advice for post surgery care?

Also, please keep good thoughts, that she will pull through just fine. OK, I am just going to be even more nervous tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:52 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Jarie's spay day

With a mafioso vet, I wouldn't be worried. Well, actually I worry over anything so...

I have not used a cone for any spays before. Lauri and the Gang actually had a post a long time ago about making your own bite not collar with cardboard! I have used a t-shirt on a couple of the girls and both liked it (Mariele and Ava). In fact, they still want to wear clothes!

I don't put anything on ointment-y because I don't want the incision to be a dirtcatcher.

Has she had any surgeries before?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Elite Member

Tammy,

I can understand your nervousness and being worried about your girl - but she is going to do great! With her not having any issues in 3 months that is great and she is eating with no problems, again that is great and what an improvement. I honestly don't think the Vet would do the surgery if he/she didn't think she was strong and healthy enough. Are you having the blood work done before hand?

As far as the cone/collar - honestly, I would wait on that until you really need it. She might surprise you and not mess with it. Ava didn't mess with it at all. She just slept a lot! I think the cone/collar might irritate Jarie and then in turn give her a reason to wonder why she has to wear this thing. But, if she is constantly messing with her incision site then most definitely she doesn't have a choice but to wear it. I would just play it by ear and see how she does without it first.

Post surgery care ... try to keep to her quiet and no jumping!! She will want to sleep a lot and make sure she is eating and drinking. I know you know this already :-)

I will definitely be thinking of you and Jarie, will be in touch with you tomorrow for an update ...

GSDgirlAL-Proudly Owned by:

Ava - GSD
DeeJay & Shelby - Beagles
Cooper - Golden Retriever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Crowned Member

i have no advise to offer, just 'moral support'

But the jar he was making did not turn out as he had hoped, so he crushed it into a lump of clay again and started over. ~ Jer. 18:4

post #5 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Crowned Member

T-shirts(s) work and doesn't irritate the incision. You can do the one or two T-shirt method. I have had two females spayed and neither had the Cone.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #6 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Crowned Member

little miss mandi, our foster girl, goes in for her spay this friday. i'm nervous too, and look forward to reading everybody's advice here! and, i will think good thoughts for your jarie tomorrow!

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #7 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAANWith a mafioso vet, I wouldn't be worried. Well, actually I worry over anything so...

I have not used a cone for any spays before. Lauri and the Gang actually had a post a long time ago about making your own bite not collar with cardboard! I have used a t-shirt on a couple of the girls and both liked it (Mariele and Ava). In fact, they still want to wear clothes!

I don't put anything on ointment-y because I don't want the incision to be a dirtcatcher.

Has she had any surgeries before?
No, she hasn't had any surgeries. Yeah, I am sure with this vet, I shouldn't worry. But, he has never treated her before. Tomorrow will be his first meeting with her.
We had a nice talk this morning about her, and I know in my heart she will be fine, but still.... I still worry...*sigh.*

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSDgirlALTammy,

I can understand your nervousness and being worried about your girl - but she is going to do great! With her not having any issues in 3 months that is great and she is eating with no problems, again that is great and what an improvement. I honestly don't think the Vet would do the surgery if he/she didn't think she was strong and healthy enough. Are you having the blood work done before hand?

As far as the cone/collar - honestly, I would wait on that until you really need it. She might surprise you and not mess with it. Ava didn't mess with it at all. She just slept a lot! I think the cone/collar might irritate Jarie and then in turn give her a reason to wonder why she has to wear this thing. But, if she is constantly messing with her incision site then most definitely she doesn't have a choice but to wear it. I would just play it by ear and see how she does without it first.

Post surgery care ... try to keep to her quiet and no jumping!! She will want to sleep a lot and make sure she is eating and drinking. I know you know this already :-)

I will definitely be thinking of you and Jarie, will be in touch with you tomorrow for an update ...
Yes, blood work is always done first. I would never think of not having it. Thanks, she has improved so much.
Sometimes I just get this sick feeling in my gut, I need to learn to ignore it.
post #8 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Wisc.TigerT-shirts(s) work and doesn't irritate the incision. You can do the one or two T-shirt method. I have had two females spayed and neither had the Cone.
Val, what do you mean by 2 t-shirts? Ok that is a dumb question I know, but do you just layer them for double the protection?
post #9 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

I think Val means two shirts 'back to back.' One over the head/torso and one over the butt.

Best of luck to Jarie for her spay. I'm sure she'll make out just fine though I can certainly understand your worry! Ris was spayed the Thursday before I met her and I was a bit worried about how it'd go. Ris had actual sutures, not the dissolveable ones and no cone. I think most vets use the cone with the dissolveable stitches since dogs can very quickly and easily re-open themselves up by licking whereas it's less of an issue with removable stitches. I think if you're good at watching her and she leaves her incision site alone, you will probably be okay with no cone.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #10 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Murphy-ElperroguapoI think Val means two shirts 'back to back.' One over the head/torso and one over the butt.

Best of luck to Jarie for her spay. I'm sure she'll make out just fine though I can certainly understand your worry! Ris was spayed the Thursday before I met her and I was a bit worried about how it'd go. Ris had actual sutures, not the dissolveable ones and no cone. I think most vets use the cone with the dissolveable stitches since dogs can very quickly and easily re-open themselves up by licking whereas it's less of an issue with removable stitches. I think if you're good at watching her and she leaves her incision site alone, you will probably be okay with no cone.
Ah, thanks for the explanation! Now I get is, duh!!

See, I have never had an issue before with my females, so none have ever used a collar or worn a t-shirt. Ha, I learn something new everyday.

Jarie, well she is in a class all her own. She still doesn't get any bedding in her crate, because she will chew it up. But, I am thinking when she comes home I could have a soft bed in there, since she will be too tired to chew, hopefully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page