Please help- vomiting blood - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Please help- vomiting blood

I tried to search similar topics and didn't find anything, i am freaking out right now. Please help!!!

safir refused his morning meal. When I got home he asked to go out and he pooped just mucousy liquid only.
When we came in I gave him a Pepto Bismol ( which his vet recommended in cases of upset stomach like this). 5 minutes later he vomited what I think was bile with blood in it. The vomit was a light red with many little bright red spots in it. I tried to look closely and it looks like blood. It's the first time this happened to.
A little history: he is 2 yrs old, has SIBO, which comes and goes, and once in a while he refuses to eat, and usually vomits bile about 5-6 hours after refusing a meal. So that is normal, but never did he vomit blood. He has been on Yams LR and 2 days ago started mixing in California Natural lamb and rice, on which he had previously been for a long time, with no incidents. I just really want to get him off Yams LR, one of the reason being that he hasn't been eating so well since they changed from Eukanuba LR to
Yams LR.
Should I be extremely worried about him vomiting blood and take him to the ER? I've never experienced this before. Please help!

Dafir vom Tal der Schatten (aka SAFIR)- 2 year old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Elite Member

Re: Please help- vomiting blood

I play on the side of caution, especially in instances like these. I would immediately take her to my vet. Or ER as the next viable choice.

If I were you, I wouldn't wait around for answers.

Let us know what the prognosis is. Good luck.

Janka vom Grunenfeld, BH (d.o.b. 10/12/07)
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Crowned Member

Go to the vet right now. We can't diagnose something like this over the internet and you are absolutely better safe than sorry! I hope it's irritation and not anything else but I would go to the vet.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Crowned Member

This is one of the times where the Vet is my best friend. I don't run my dogs to the Vet for every little thing, BUT blood coming out of places where it shouldn't is always a call to the Vet and a Visit that day.

Let us know what the Vet said.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Master Member

Take him to the vet asap! Don't waste time typing online! (I mean this in the nicest possible way). Blood coming out of either end needs immediate Dr visit, IMO. Sending hugs and prayers - if this was Kodee, I'd be going apesh*t right now! Good luck & let us know what the vet says!
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:15 PM
Crowned Member

Vomiting blood is often a symptom of poisoning or that your dog ate something that is causing great damage to the stomach. IF you're still around, get out of here.

Now!

Bring some of the vomitus with you, as you would any other bodily fluids sample. It will help the vet diagnose the problem.
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so after reading the first reply I called the vet and took off with Safir. I was seriously freaking out, and I didn't wait arround any longer to see the replies.
I picked up the plastic bag where I threw the paper towels used to clean his vomit got Safir and drove to the vet.
So, she did an thorough examination on him , took blood, fecal sample, and took a look at the vomitus I had brought with me. It was definitely blood mixed with bile. He didn't have any discomfort when she palpated his stomach. And he didn't seam to be lethargic anymore (he was a little after throwing up), he was actually happy to see everyone there. She thinks it's a stomach ulcer, possible from food allergies. Fecal sample was fine. We are waiting for the blood results. Meanwhile she gave him 2 injections: one to stop the vomiting, and one that coats the inside of his stomach with a protective layer. Also gave me some tablets to give him.

Poor Safir is exhausted. He ate just a little tonight and is now resting.
I think starting tommorrow I will cook for him light food (boiled chicken and rice, or sweet potatoes) until he gets better.

Thank you for all your replies, and if you have any other advice for me, please tell me what else I could do to help him feel better, because it breaks my heart to see him ill

Dafir vom Tal der Schatten (aka SAFIR)- 2 year old

post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Crowned Member

Glad to hear it's under control. My friend's dog showed similar symptoms it turned out their dog had gotten into rat poison(they think a dying rat came in their yard or there was something under their rental house) and was bleeding out internally. Tess survived but she almost didn't. Very scary. If they'd waited she would not have so I'm glad you played it safe.

Poor Safir. I hope he feels better soon!

post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Crowned Member

Yikes. You did a good job! Glad he's doing better.

What tests can they do/will they do to confirm a stomach ulcer?

post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Crowned Member

I would have to go diving into paper records but one time DeeDee was give a medication that they give to humans for bleeding ulcers.

If the Vet suspected a food allergy, what is the protein source in the food you are feeding now? If it is Chicken then you might want to try something different and if it has rice then I would try potato or sweet potate. I think home cooking until you dog gets back on her paws is a good thing.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page